Beware Flair kits?

After sorting out the aileron problems ( see earlier post) on a Flair Extra 300S 140 we took it for a flight tonight. Control problems gone completely so advice given certainly worked! Came in for what appeared to be a good landing and it broke it's back! Have had a very good look around the joints which separated at the back of the canopy and for all the world you would think they had never been glued at all! I have taken piccies of it before I repair it but I won't post here as they are rather large. Just a word of warning/caution to other fliers using this model! The joints have simply separated without any damage whatsoever to either side of the joint. Time to get out some decent glue and join it back together again!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Dontcha just hate it when that happens?

Me too!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

You certaintly do especially when son hasn't got a lot of cash but just LOVES flying. Thought that a well known make like Flair (before it folded!) would have given him something that would have lasted but it wasn't to be! Maybe we will fold back to kits you make yourself. At least then we would know that every joint is glued properly! 5 minute out tomorrow and a load of strengthening and hopefullly it''ll be back in the air by the weekend!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Maybe we now know why they folded? Just a thought.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Well if they were still in business then I'd be on the phone straight away to tell them what a sh*t job their gluing is! Just had another good look at the break and it would seem that the glue machine ran dry when they did the section just behind the canopy on this one! Luckily(!) it was a 'clean' break so it's just a case of putting it back together after making sure that it's straight and then applying liberal amounts of 5 minute AND adding some strengtheners!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

I wasn't aware they 'folded'. they still have an active web site:

Jim Slaughter

The original Flair filed for insolvency and then suddenly this new one rose from the ashes! I believe it's even being run my some of the original Flair people!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

FYI....I found this on the old Flair website.......

Flair is open for trading again.

Many customers will be aware that Flair Products Ltd went int voluntary liquidation in April. This saddened many who appreciated th fine range of products available from this unique UK distributor. The assets of the company have been purchased by a new business tea and Flair will be open for business again from 23rd May 2005. The prime objective of the new team will be to restore Flair's onc highly respected reputation for good quality products sold at a fai price with prompt delivery from stock. To kick start this rebirth w have employed the services of two well known individuals previousl associated with Flair. Dudley Pattison, original founder of Flair, will be charged wit restoring the key values of good service, supply from stock, and th reinstatement of the famous Flair range of kits. Dudley will adopt hands on approach and will be a high profile face at future Flai events. Richard Smart, ex. design director for Flair, is engaged to increas the product base and to ensure that Flair can supply not just a airframe but all the necessary accessories as well. Richard is als working on a number of new products that will be launched later thi year. It is our intention to retain favourites from the Flair range and t develop/source new and exciting products for the future. New ARTFs wil be introduced regularly and traditional items such as the Scout range the Classic range etc., Spectrum paint, wheels, decals, canopies accessories, etc. will all be standard stock items.

You can keep up to date with Flair's new developments by visiting thi web site. Here you will find details of exciting new products, th complete stock range, and masses of helpful information about ou products so that you will be informed before purchasing. Flair's rang will be available through all model shops listed on our website, in th event you cannot find stock of what you seek, or you cannot visit a sho locally, products will be available from the Flair online shop, or the can be ordered direct from the factory by phone, fax or email etc.

The business team would like to assure all customers of our commitmen to the above objectives and would like to thank all those modellers an traders who have contacted us to express their support.

Flair Business Team

-- Mark Mille

this thread:

Mark Miller

They re-opened/re-organized. I knew I hadnt lost my mind. Never had it in the first place...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople