Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Threaded View
They have a Bud Nosen Tainer on E-Bay.  I believe this is the AA laser
cut kit.  They are out of business now.  There has been a lot of talk
that the AA kits were not very good.  unlike the orginal Bud Nosen Kis.
 Does anyone know where one could secure plans for the Bud Nosen
Trainer.  My mentor tells me that this took a forest of balsa to build.
 He indicated that it is a fantastic trainer from the 60's.
The price that they want on E-Bay is crazy for this kit.
Since I am a scratch builder I would rather just get possession of a
set of plans for Bud's plane and cut the material myself so that it
ends up being orginal.
Doc Ferguson

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans
Doc,
I would pass on the Nosen kit, plans or no plans. I have not seen a
Nosen kit since I finished a Gere Sport biplane in about 1980. As I
recall, the wood in the kit was C R A P !
One fuse side would be a hard balsa part, the other, you guessed it,
tissue soft. I ended up replacing about 1/2 the wood in the kit.

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

The AA Industries kits were not laser cut.  I have the die-crushed AA
Industries kit of the 105" Nosen Citabria.  (It isn't really that bad at
all, looking at it.  I'll know more when I start building it!)

I thought the AA kits were an IMPROVEMENT of the Nosen kits.....

Good flying,
desmobob

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

I took THAT kit and converted it into a Decathelon and painted it with the
release year factory paint job.  Used factory paints...

Flew well until I got shot down on take off at the IMAA 1996 Rally of the
Giants.  After repairs it became known as skypig...

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Sounds like yours was a beauty!  Sorry to hear it got shot down....   I
think I'm just going to Monocote mine in the factory option starburst
pattern.  Where did you find a Decathlon rib pattern, or did you just fudge
it?  The other day I was thinking about the kit and how I wished it had a
symetric wing.

Did you use the provided cardboard wing tube and dowel to mount the wing
halves or did you "modernize" it with aluminum or carbon fiber?

What powerplant did you choose?  I have an old NIB Super Tigre S2000 25cc, a
Magnum 1.20 four-stroke that I thought might work well, and have considered
a Poulan 25cc leafblower conversion.

Good flying,
desmobob

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Threw a semi symetrical wing and cut new ribs out.  That is what the
Decathalon literature said it had, which is where I got the right colors for
the factory starburst (in light blue) on yellow.

I used aluminum tubes rather than the cardboard ones, but no carbon fibre.
However the struts WERE functional and had the jury struts.  Building the
cowl was a challenge not to be forgotten.

My bird was a lead sled as I had used spruce for the corners and braced all
the joints (probably why it still flew after the shoot down) so the all up
weight was around 22 lbs.  I used a Quadra 50 and it flew well, until that
fateful trip.

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Light blue on yellow?!  I never saw that one.  Sounds interesting.  Any
photos?

I already purchased a fiberglass cowl and wheel pants.  :-)
Should I build the cowl and wheel pants from the kit just for the sake of
experience?  I'd hate to miss out on some lifetime memories....  ;-)

A Quadra 50?  Yikes!  Now I'm really having second thoughts about my engine
choices!   I talked to another guy who built one and he suggested a Zenoah
G38.  I better try for a light build....

Thanks for the information,
desmobob

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

SNIP

Look around for any original sales literature.  I will see if I can find the
color photocopy I took to the aircraft paint store.

Lifetime miseries?  ROFLOL...  Some days I am just hardheaded and cheap,
just ask around...

Light builds are always better.  The Q 50 was way more engine than I needed,
but fun.

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Now Nosen Balsa wasn't as good as MidWest (or going way back)
Pactra or even Sig, but the big problem was the selection for the
kits wasn't the best, but now IIRC the plans and instructions were
 somewhat improved from the Nosen 'Here is your Balsa log,
saw and sand everything away that doesn't look like an airplane'
level, but IMO wood was even worse, for higher price

They weren't always the best kits, but going big back then,
your choices for Giants was limited, esp if you didn't like
Cubs. So the Nosens in the big white boxes sold. By time
AA was around, there were good plans out there, and just as
easy to get the right wood for the plane: Scratchbuilding wasn't
far off with what you would do with the Nosen, anyway: and
as more companies went for 1/4 scale kits, fewer chose
the big boxes of balsa from AA/Bud Nosen.

For guys who wanted big planes that built well from the box,
the Big Bingos were good, or the Sigs. For guys who wanted
scale, those old Royal kits were good, and TF kits too, though not
quite as big.

**
mike
**

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Thanks for the Info Mike:
Doc Ferguson

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

No Prob. Let me dust off some memories of Selling stuff
in the Hobby Shops of the '80s.

Since you said you can scratchbuild, and are looking for a big trainer,
might want to see what Hobby Lobby will sell just the Plans for that
*big* Telemaster they just rekitted, or Balsa USA, which should
still be selling the Plans for the big Flybaby they used to make,
or Sigs 4 Star 120

**
mike
**

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

I dragged some model airplane boxes out of storage and discovered that I
had a Bud Nosen Trainer. The box is plain brown cardboard but it says "A
& A Ind, Sibley, IA 51249 Exclusive Manufacturer of Bud Nosen Models".
The kit looks to be untouched - all of the wood is neatly arranged in
the box. I googled Bud Nosen Trainer and got hits on this sight.  It
appears to be a huge airplane. Is there something significant about this
model.

--
net-work
Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

As far as this "sight" is concerned Doc Ferguson was looking for plans to
build one with. Do you have the plans?
mk

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

net-work - I'd be interested in buying that nosen trainer if you would
sell it

Doc, I may have a set of plans for the nosen trainer but I'd need to
find someone to copy them as I would like to keep the originals

would you pay for having the copies made?

Thanks,
Steve

--
ezrydr
Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

FEDEX/Kinkos

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

There are plans for the Bud Nosen Trainer on Ebay

--
Westwings
Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

I am going to pass on the plans.  I found a couple of big birds and
have the plans from RC Modelers and AMA plans Site.  Both those sites
have many plans but none for the Nosen Plans.  These kits go for gold
on e-bay and are mainly collector items.  Doc Ferguson

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

I chose the Senior Telemaster.  They still sell these in kits, however
I got my plans from the AMA.  Doc Ferguson

Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

Does anyone know if David Sebring has started offering the Bud Nosen
kits again? He is the one that bought the rights from A&A.

--
garcay
Re: Bud Nosen Trainer plans

I wondered the same thing  - after extensive 'googling' and 'yahooing'
it appears that there is nothing out there regarding Dave and the Nosen
stuff.

Too bad.

--
ezrydr