Bud Nosen Trainer plans

They have a Bud Nosen Tainer on E-Bay. I believe this is the AA laser cut kit. They are out of business now. There has been a lot of talk that the AA kits were not very good. unlike the orginal Bud Nosen Kis. Does anyone know where one could secure plans for the Bud Nosen Trainer. My mentor tells me that this took a forest of balsa to build. He indicated that it is a fantastic trainer from the 60's. The price that they want on E-Bay is crazy for this kit. Since I am a scratch builder I would rather just get possession of a set of plans for Bud's plane and cut the material myself so that it ends up being orginal. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

Doc, I would pass on the Nosen kit, plans or no plans. I have not seen a Nosen kit since I finished a Gere Sport biplane in about 1980. As I recall, the wood in the kit was C R A P ! One fuse side would be a hard balsa part, the other, you guessed it, tissue soft. I ended up replacing about 1/2 the wood in the kit.

Doc Fergus> They have a Bud Nosen Tainer on E-Bay. I believe this is the AA laser

Reply to
AV8R

The AA Industries kits were not laser cut. I have the die-crushed AA Industries kit of the 105" Nosen Citabria. (It isn't really that bad at all, looking at it. I'll know more when I start building it!)

I thought the AA kits were an IMPROVEMENT of the Nosen kits.....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I took THAT kit and converted it into a Decathelon and painted it with the release year factory paint job. Used factory paints...

Flew well until I got shot down on take off at the IMAA 1996 Rally of the Giants. After repairs it became known as skypig...

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" > all, looking at it. I'll know more when I start building it!)

Sounds like yours was a beauty! Sorry to hear it got shot down.... I think I'm just going to Monocote mine in the factory option starburst pattern. Where did you find a Decathlon rib pattern, or did you just fudge it? The other day I was thinking about the kit and how I wished it had a symetric wing.

Did you use the provided cardboard wing tube and dowel to mount the wing halves or did you "modernize" it with aluminum or carbon fiber?

What powerplant did you choose? I have an old NIB Super Tigre S2000 25cc, a Magnum 1.20 four-stroke that I thought might work well, and have considered a Poulan 25cc leafblower conversion.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Now Nosen Balsa wasn't as good as MidWest (or going way back) Pactra or even Sig, but the big problem was the selection for the kits wasn't the best, but now IIRC the plans and instructions were somewhat improved from the Nosen 'Here is your Balsa log, saw and sand everything away that doesn't look like an airplane' level, but IMO wood was even worse, for higher price

They weren't always the best kits, but going big back then, your choices for Giants was limited, esp if you didn't like Cubs. So the Nosens in the big white boxes sold. By time AA was around, there were good plans out there, and just as easy to get the right wood for the plane: Scratchbuilding wasn't far off with what you would do with the Nosen, anyway: and as more companies went for 1/4 scale kits, fewer chose the big boxes of balsa from AA/Bud Nosen.

For guys who wanted big planes that built well from the box, the Big Bingos were good, or the Sigs. For guys who wanted scale, those old Royal kits were good, and TF kits too, though not quite as big.

** mike **
Reply to
mike

Thanks for the Info Mike: Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

No Prob. Let me dust off some memories of Selling stuff in the Hobby Shops of the '80s.

Since you said you can scratchbuild, and are looking for a big trainer, might want to see what Hobby Lobby will sell just the Plans for that

*big* Telemaster they just rekitted, or Balsa USA, which should still be selling the Plans for the big Flybaby they used to make, or Sigs 4 Star 120 ** mike **
Reply to
mike

Threw a semi symetrical wing and cut new ribs out. That is what the Decathalon literature said it had, which is where I got the right colors for the factory starburst (in light blue) on yellow.

I used aluminum tubes rather than the cardboard ones, but no carbon fibre. However the struts WERE functional and had the jury struts. Building the cowl was a challenge not to be forgotten.

My bird was a lead sled as I had used spruce for the corners and braced all the joints (probably why it still flew after the shoot down) so the all up weight was around 22 lbs. I used a Quadra 50 and it flew well, until that fateful trip.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>>

Light blue on yellow?! I never saw that one. Sounds interesting. Any photos?

I already purchased a fiberglass cowl and wheel pants. :-) Should I build the cowl and wheel pants from the kit just for the sake of experience? I'd hate to miss out on some lifetime memories.... ;-)

A Quadra 50? Yikes! Now I'm really having second thoughts about my engine choices! I talked to another guy who built one and he suggested a Zenoah G38. I better try for a light build....

Thanks for the information, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

SNIP

Look around for any original sales literature. I will see if I can find the color photocopy I took to the aircraft paint store.

Lifetime miseries? ROFLOL... Some days I am just hardheaded and cheap, just ask around...

Light builds are always better. The Q 50 was way more engine than I needed, but fun.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I dragged some model airplane boxes out of storage and discovered that I had a Bud Nosen Trainer. The box is plain brown cardboard but it says "A & A Ind, Sibley, IA 51249 Exclusive Manufacturer of Bud Nosen Models". The kit looks to be untouched - all of the wood is neatly arranged in the box. I googled Bud Nosen Trainer and got hits on this sight. It appears to be a huge airplane. Is there something significant about this model.

Reply to
net-work

Post Quick Reply?

Reply to
net-work

As far as this "sight" is concerned Doc Ferguson was looking for plans to build one with. Do you have the plans? mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

net-work - I'd be interested in buying that nosen trainer if you would sell it

Doc, I may have a set of plans for the nosen trainer but I'd need to find someone to copy them as I would like to keep the originals

would you pay for having the copies made?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
ezrydr

FEDEX/Kinkos

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

There are plans for the Bud Nosen Trainer on Ebay

Reply to
Westwings

I am going to pass on the plans. I found a couple of big birds and have the plans from RC Modelers and AMA plans Site. Both those sites have many plans but none for the Nosen Plans. These kits go for gold on e-bay and are mainly collector items. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

I chose the Senior Telemaster. They still sell these in kits, however I got my plans from the AMA. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

Does anyone know if David Sebring has started offering the Bud Nosen kits again? He is the one that bought the rights from A&A.

Reply to
garcay