Cheap 12V, 8.4A supply

Hi, I get parts from All Electronics a lot, and noticed this $15, 100-

24VAC to 12V supply you might be interested in.

dash

Here is one I just got. 12 V 13 Amps, They have more of them, shipping included in price. Checked mine out and it is great.

Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic
us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red,

Great deal, just ordered it.

Best regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston

dam its the wrong side of the pond?? Kevin

Reply to
Kevin R

No, its the RIGHT side. You are on the wrong side! ;^)

>> rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

>>> 1284&type=store

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Kevin R

I bought one last month- works fine, but they're from across the other pond in China.

Reply to
TexMex

Mine, labeled Cosel R150U-12 made in Japan.

I like the remote sensing capability. Run long leads if you need them to a

12 volt outlet on your bench and smaller leads from the sensing terminal to the outlet and the unit sets the voltage at the outlet so you don't get a significant voltage drop at higher currents. You have to remove the connecting link from the S terminals to the V terminals to do this. Voltage adjustment feature also nice, variable from about 10 volts to 14. 2 on mine. While these are advertised as used units, mine appeared like new. Very well constructed.

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

> rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Reply to
Red Scholefield

The same outfit is selling two different versions, one with an aluminum heat-sink base, and the other without (but lighter weight). They look identical otherwise. I also bought one, the heat sink model, and it's up and running fine. Mine also looks to be brand-new. Probably "used" in some government contract equipment that was never turned on.

Reply to
Charles Wahl

Yes, mine has the heavy 1/16 thk aluminum base. I did some hacking on my unit. Moved the LED to the other end, installed a switch on that end also. Hung a computer input plug on the back to use computer line cord. Added a muffin fan from an old PC power supply to the top, don't know if it needed that or not, but a good place to store the fan anyway. Neat compact little power supply. I really like the remote sensing capability although I've not hooked that up yet. With three chargers plugged in and running, the voltage at the end of 2 ft of heavy zip cord is still within 100 mv of what I set it to and doesn't seem to vary as I change the charger settings.

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red, is the power supply a "switching" type? The picture makes it look quite compact, which is often a characteristic of a switching power supply. (If it's a more traditional "transformed, rectified, and smoothed type, it would be more peritnent to my application. Can't accommodate the noise from a switching type.)

John P.

Reply to
JP1

Yes, switching type. Works fine on all the applications I use it for, mostly chargers and battery maintenance equipment. Are not computer power supplies all switching regulator type? Seems like that would be a very noise sensitive environment.

Red S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "JP1" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 10:27 PM Subject: Re: Cheap 12V, 8.4A supply

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Sorry for coming in late (I've been away) but if I read the subject heading right then the solution is to modify a AT style power supply from a computer. Done several already 12V and 9-11Amp (varies by model/manufacturer).

Cost me about $15 Australian to modify one. Couple of resistors, switch, binding posts and some basic soldering/crimping.

Plenty of good sites on the web, just be careful as this is electricity we're playing with!

Reply to
The Raven

| Red, is the power supply a "switching" type?

Yes.

| The picture makes it look quite compact, which is often a | characteristic of a switching power supply.

The relatively high typical efficiency listed (80%) also suggests switching ...

| (If it's a more traditional "transformed, rectified, and smoothed | type, it would be more peritnent to my application. Can't | accommodate the noise from a switching type.)

Your application = Ham radio?

I know that switching power supplies make RF noise, but I've not had any real problems with that (not with the PC PSs I've converted anyways.) If I did, I'd put the power supply in a metal box, put ferrite beads around the wires in and out, maybe some more large capicators in parallel with the outputs and probably be fine.

What I've found to really make RF noise is my Triton charger -- that thing seems to make more noise than anything else I have, affecting both HF and VHF. It's a great charger, but I don't use it at the same time as my radios anymore :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren