Crank shaft thread?

What is the thread size on the OS Max 15 engine? I need to add a weighted hub nut but cannot find the proper thread size. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (broke=not working, retired=not working, retired=broke)

Reply to
Brokebob

It's either an M5 which is metric, or it is 7/32-32 SAE. OS used those two sizes for crank shaft threads on their .15 size engines.

Reply to
Vance Howard

The OS web page shows M5.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

M5 relates to the current LA series only. The earlier MAX FP and the even earlier MAX cross flow series with a strap on muffler were U7/32 - 32

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Links

What is the thread size on the OS Max 15 engine? I need to add a weighted hub nut but cannot find the proper thread size. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (broke=not working, retired=not working, retired=broke)

Reply to
A.T.

Weighted hubs on the business end of a motor in order to balance an aircraft is not a good idea imo, due to gyroscopic precession forces it introduces, and the extra stress on the crank if the balance is even slightly out.

Reply to
Kelly Shamash

Hey, y'll did great! Thanks much snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (broke=not working, retired=not working, retired=broke)

Reply to
Brokebob

Correct, I read the wrong line. The proper thread IS 7/32-32. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Never had a problem on my Enya .09 with a Higley weighted spinner. No precession, no vibration, no problems.

Reply to
Black Cloud

Hey Bob, I think I sold that motor to you. Don't you have that thing flying yet?? Steve Boucher

Brokebob wrote:

Reply to
Steve Boucher

Not yet, Steve. Long story including lots of out-of-town time and RAIN. The plane is finished but not balanced yet. Seems that heavy spinners are scarce to non-existient so i will have to move the wing back about 3/4 inch. Gonna do that today. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (broke=not working, retired=not working, retired=broke)

Reply to
Brokebob

Attach a piece of lead inside the engine compartment.

Reply to
Vance Howard

This is an old timer with the wing right behind the firewall. Weight doesn't have much effect on balance that close to the CG. It is against my religion to add a lot of weight to a plane that is probably gonna be short on power. I hate to do it but that wing is gonna be back a little further even if I have to give up some of the 'old time' free flight looks. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (broke=not working, retired=not working, retired=broke)

Reply to
Brokebob

Ok, I understand now.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Hey, if you go with a spinner (plastic or otherwise) Great planes makes

1 and 2 oz. weights that mount inside the spinner. Check 'em out here.
B.

Brokebob wrote:

Reply to
Steve Boucher