ESC sizes.

Not being up on brushless motors what size ESC is a bit of a mystery, what size will I need to be safe with a motor supposedly 500w? not sure if you can trust these Chinese sellers but thats what they say it is,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

Well it depends on the voltage. Thats 50 amps at a nominal 10V (3s LIPO) or 25A at a nominal 20v (6s LIPO)

However what is claimed about most electric motors is seldom accurate, and occasionally patently and obviously nonsense, so beware. Best place to ask is the power forum on RCgroups.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Hi, I think the original voltage given was 11,1 so looking at around

45 to 50 amp and LiPo and as this is probably a model for my grandson who has no idea and I would not want to put in harms way charging LiPo batteries I may have to look at another power unit,

many thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

| Not being up on brushless motors what size ESC is a bit of a mystery, | what size will I need to be safe with a motor supposedly 500w? not sure | if you can trust these Chinese sellers but thats what they say it is,

A motor that's good to 500 watts just means that it'll start getting too hot at 500 watts -- and possibly less, as the amperage matters more than the total power. (500 watts may come from the maximum rated voltage times the maximum rated amperage.)

But the motor will probably happily draw 1000 watts or so if you put too big of a prop on it (or just stop it from turning, like if it crashes and you forget to cut throttle) if the battery pack can deliver that much current. If that happens, it's likely that you'll damage something -- and it's the ESC that will probably lose it's magic smoke first.

And you may find that motor only draws 200 watts in your plane -- it all depends on the voltage and the prop.

If you want to be safe, throw all your values into motocalc and see what it says. Or you could just get a big ESC. Or get a moderately large ESC and put in a few that will blow if you exceed that current by a signifigant amount.

Reply to
Doug McLaren