Glow Plug

I been flying for 10 years and still do not know much about glow plugs. How do you know when one is bad other than the engine starts running bad. The other day I had an old OS .40 running sickly, I changed glow plugs once and was still doing the same thing. I changed to a Tower plug and the engine started running like a Singer sewing machine. Makes no sense to me how these plugs work. I usually use the o.s. #8 90% of the time. The two plugs that I removed seem to glow brightly with power applied. The Tower plug did have a Idle bar however, I really do not know what the diff is, maybe one of you engine geeks can explain these plugs a bit. Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Brad

Look carefully when applying heat and see if there is a 'dust' look to the element. If so, it has been damaged by stuff in the combustion chamber and that is the common way they appear to be good and give bad results. This only shows up OUTSIDE the engine.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Amazingly, glow plugs can be bad right out of the package. Used to be that plugs were a platinum alloy so there was some platinum all the way through the wire. Nowdays it seems that some manufacturers are cutting costs by only plating the wire. If this plating is bad, the plug doesn't work as well. The fact that a plug glows with power applied really doesn't mean much for runing the engine.

If you look at the wire under some strong magnification, you will notice that a good running plug has a smooth surface. The bad ones usually have a rough surface or may appear to have some foreigh coatings attached.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

On 11/22/2004 4:21 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

One of the ways I tell if a given plug is good or not is to look at the element when power is applied to it. On all the bad plugs I have seen, the coil is not lit up on the first coil or coil and 1/2. With the power off I look to see if the element is shiny or dull. A dull appearing element is frequently also a sign of a marginal or bad plug. Neither of these is fool proof, however they do eliminate some of the guess work.

Other factors also come into play with this. Have you recently changed brands or nitro or oil content of the fuel ? Has the manufacturer changed anything ? This could mean you need to go to a hotter or colder plug. The symptoms are similar to a marginal or bad plug.

I have found that for 2 strokes an OS #8 will handle 90%+ of the engines. An OS F type plug is the best I have found (so far ) for 4 stroke engines.

I realize there are people who will swear by (or at ) a particular brand of plug. There may be (and probably are ) other brands as good as the OS plugs.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I have "heard" that the Tower (6 for $14) plugs are identical to the OS #8 plug. I don't know it for a fact, but they sure look the same. Big $ savings if so.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Reply to
Donduk

Reply to
Brad

An idle bar, theoretically, prevents droplets of unburned fuel from striking the plug element. Unburned fuel on the plug is bad. This can drown the plug or even damage it.

That said, an idle bar is only needed by people who don't know how to tune their engines, IMO. If both mixture needles are adjusted correctly, the idle bar is not necessary.

An idle bar can even be detrimental in that it restricts fuel mixture access to the plug element. It also partially blocks the flame front from reaching the fuel mixture at the plug element. This leads to the necessity for a hotter-burning plug than "normal".

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I was given an old Enya .19 that hadn't been used for around 15 years or more, it had only run a few times from new. It came with an idle bar glow plug, started and ran O.K. Glow plug died after a few outings and it was replaced with an OS-8. Ran as sweet as a nut all summer and autumn and was used to power a big thermal glider on windless days.

Come the first really cold spell, down to near freezing and it wouldn't start. No amount of setting up would do any good, it would give an occasional cough and that was it. I couldn't find a source of idle bar plugs (can find them now). Weather went a bit warmer... engine O.K again. Reverted back to cold and ... no engine !

It gave the distinct impression that the glow was being cooled... quenched ? by cold fuel hitting the glow element.

No amount of setting it up at home would cause it to start when the temperature went down. Spent that long outside fiddling one day that 'er indoors said "forget it and go and buy yourself another en..." I was out the door so fast I never did catch the last bit >:-)

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

For an engine to run, it's got to vaporize its fuel. It sprays out the spraybar into flowing air, some of it evaporates, and that cools it down. Add to that the higher surface to volume ratio of smaller engines, and that makes the engine too cool to vaporize the fuel, even with the glow igniter attached. You might check Allen's RC Links and see if he has some cold weather starting tips.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

I think that's the best description I have seen so far. Puts it in a nutshell.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Give it a few drops of lighter fluid to help starting in cold weather.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

One thing some of our Scandanavian friends do is to pack some boiling water in a thermos and pour it over the head before starting. Some hold the nose of the plane in their car's exhaust to warm it up. I've also heard that a spritz of WD40 in the carb will get them started on cold days, as its propellant is propane. Finally, some of the folks who fly in the cold cover some of the cooling fins with aluminum foil to keep the head warm. Hope these tips help.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Some good tips there, including the other post about lighter fuel. Never come across some of them before. Duly saved for future reference.

Thanks, Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Reply to
jim breeyear

Then, why do nearly ALL 1/2A engines NOT have idle bars? Idle bars were useful when the standard fuel was 25% castor oil and the balance methanol. Modern fuels work very well in most engines and don't require idle bars.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I don't see what the discussion about why an engine is hard to start in cold weather has to do with an idle bar. But as for Cox engines and most 1/2 a's, you don't see any with loop induction requiring a baffle, so usually an idle bar is not required. The only engines I recall needing an idle bar was the loop induction and then only if you wanted a low idle. One exception was a highly timed SuperTigre .60 Bluehead with STS induction. The long duration and upward slanting ports caused them to spit fuel on the plug requiring an idle bar.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

I was replying to the assertion that smaller engines have different cooling requirements that necessitated idle bars.

BTW, if there were drops of fuel large enough to quench a glow plug, chances are the engine wouldn't run as those drops would contain more fuel than would be required to burn. Idle bars served two purposes, to keep the blobs of castor oil from quenching the heat and to retain more heat at low speeds when using low/no nitro fuels. Kind of like the extended shroud four stroke plugs now popular. Look at the Fox Miracle plug. The coil is deep inside the center rather than perched on the outside edge. The Glo-bee is an extreme example of having the element out in the breeze. They also don't survive any kind of abuse! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Kind of like the extended shroud four stroke plugs now popular." I have not seen a four stroke plug with an extended shroud. They are longer with a longer coil and more exposure to the fuel. This has nothing to do with keeping fuel off of the element.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

They have more of the coil deeper inside the plug body to retain more heat between the less frequent firings of a four stroke.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh