How to get your airplane out of a tree

Well, I officially flew my first R/C airplane on my first ever flight today and got it stuck in a tree. But.. I got it down after 3 or 4 hours using various tactics.

My Aerobird Challenger was lodged about 40 or 50 feet up in a tree and the tail was hooked on a branch pretty good. We threw rocks, sticks... tied a rock to string and tried to throw it over the branch in an effort to shake the tree limb, but to no avail. 3 other onlookers came over to join in on the fun. One guy tied a monkey wrench to a rope and tried to throw it up there. No luck. Fishing rod.. . no luck. 2 x 4. Nothing.

Finally the guy with the fishing rod pulled out a large (for fishing at least) fishing weight and we tied some very strong put pretty thin nylon string to the weight. On about the first or second try, I successfully got the weight on the proper branch. I let the weight fall to the ground and I grabbed that end, while my friend grabbed the other. I pulled down over and over again and the battery pack fell from the plane, and then finally the plane fell from the tree - into another tree! It didn't stay there long and fell out and then glided into the water near the tree! Rule #1 - don't fly near trees. Rule #2 - don't fly near water - at least not if you're a complete beginner like me.

We got to wondering - what other techniques might work to get your plane out of a tree? I thought - what if you got a slingshot and shot the fishing weight with string to the branch holding your plane. For a situation where your plane gets caught in a really high tree, you won't be able to throw it. What about a archery/spearfishing setup?

Anyone have any interesting techniques they've used to get a plane out of the tree?

Reply to
James

To a point, a long pole, above that, we use a bow and arrow to get the line up, then pull up a rope with a mini-grappling hook.

You forgot rule no. 3..... fly with an instructor. I actually paid for lessons from a hobby shop owner. He has 25 years experience. I was flying a $500.00 airplane/radio/motor setup. I took 8 lessons at $25.00 each.... I still fly that plane after 5 years.... I know some clubs have very good instructional programs (most don't), but this way I got a very qualified person who was dedicated to helping me for an hour at a time. He had a program set up that lead me from knowing nothing to not only being able to fly ok, but also knowing proper ground technique, which is very important (if you have seen someone who doesn't know it, you will understand what I mean)..... . Arne, USA (I finally caught up with 'The Joneses') . .

Reply to
Arne

That is the technique we use. It works well in tight areas where there are lots of trees around and works best on leafy vs. pine trees. But it always works! Use a sinker to get a fising line over the plane or nearest branch. Haul up a stronger rope. Then pull like crazy and the plane will flip down. You may have to repeat several times if it sticks on other branches. For a total cost of around $10 for slingshot, string, line and sinkers...reasonable. I also keep everything in one box and can toss it in the car easily when needed.

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

Only need a chainsaw, that would be enough...

:-)))

Reply to
Flying Tiger

On at least three occasions, we have retrieved planes from a tree by shooting the branch holding the plane with a 12 Ga. shotgun. In all 3 instances, only one shot was required for each retrieval to sever the offending branch. Of course, we are out in the country (outside city limits) where discharging a shotgun is tolerated. The shotgun was a full choke model and relatively large (#2 shot was used). We have also resorted to the chainsaw several times. The landowner allowed us to remove the offending tree. Other techniques we have resorted to are climbing the offending tree & lower the plane with a rope (this is best accomplished by enlisting the aid of the younger guys). We have also used a 20 ft ladder to get part way up the tree, then attach a rope to the plane using a 15' length of plastic pipe. Or just use the pipe to shake the tree. Our field is bordered on two sides by woods & flying over the woods is common practice for us. Hope this helps. - Ray

Reply to
CRAngelo

forget about using a bow to get the line up there. It won't work. I tried several times. The arrow is to light. Eddie Fulmer

Reply to
Efulmer

I have told this story here in the past, but here it is once more:

At the club one day we tried aero towing, and it went well. The Lady was lifted high and enjoyed a nice glide, after some boasting the pilot stated he could make one more circut. No deal. Looks way short, hard bank, tip stall, roll/dive, recover, balloon, Tree.

The local know-it-all says he has the answer. Ties a old receiver pack (or something like it, maybe it was a tennis ball) to the end of a kite string. On his second throw he loops the line over the fuse at the wing. Sort of diagonal, left LE to right TE. Maybe two and a half times around or so. Gives us all a big "I'm the greatest" smile and slowly takes the slack out of the string. Then he says "I'll just pull her down, get your thumbs on the sticks"! Mister smart guy gives it a mighty yank and the string cuts the fuse clean in half. The plane does not move. The second pull tightens the loop all the way to the wing joiner. The fuse folds almost in half and executes a slow and graceful spiral decent to the parking lot. Sort of like one of those helicopter seeds from the maple trees.

So watch it if you use that method.

John

Reply to
Dirtnap

Reply to
Arne

No one ever said you can always get your plane back in working order! If you put it high up in a tree...you can consider it as a total write off. You can sometimes recover it, parts of it, most of it, some of it. But whatever you do get is a bonus!

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

This question shows up about once a month!!!

New techniques are suggested almost everytime!!

-- Viper Pilo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Viper Pilot's Profile:

this thread:

Viper Pilot

'\"out of a tree\" search

'\"in a tree\" search

-- Viper Pilo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Viper Pilot's Profile:

this thread:

Viper Pilot

Agreed.

John

Reply to
Dirtnap

Once offered some kids $20 to get my Super Stunts 60 wing out of a tree. Everything else managed to make it thru the branches and down to the ground in re-kitted form. The wing was toast also but it did have 4 servos and a reverser which were still good. They managed to get the sucker down and I gladly paid up.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Best way is not to fly there in the first place. I learned that about

25 years ago, and haven't lost a plane to a tree since then.
Reply to
The Observer

Sounds like one of our club "experts" - he never crashes . . . . . some of his planes may be suffering from dry rot or terminal hangar rash however. :-)

RS

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Don't fly over anything you can't afford to crash into. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Reply to
Arne

Heheh. Did anybody watch Judge Judy yesterday? Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

There are five useless things to a pilot. Runway behind you. Altitude above you. Airspeed you don't have. Fuel in the jug. A half second ago. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

It was a re-run!!!

'Click here'