Looking for a recommendation for a Pitts Special kit.

Hi All,

I am thinking about building a model of the Pitts Special and was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a kit. I was thinking about something in the .90 to 1.20 range that I could put a 4 stroker in. My plan right now is to build it as a scale of the Telex Pitts that Mike Wiskus flies. The company I work for is a co-sponsor of his plane, so I thought that it would make an interesting scale subject as well as being a kick to fly. For more information on Mike's plane, click on the following link.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay B.

Reply to
Jay Bickford

Jay,

Depending what you're after but, Great Planes has a 1/3 ARF:

Though I think it's a little bigger than you were looking for. Also on the large side are Wendell Hostetler's Plans:

He has two sizes of plans but, you might be able to scale one down to the size you want.

Iron Bay Models has one. I think it's the former Byron Originals kit:

There are a number of smaller kits and ARF's out there. Generally ranging from a 40 size and below. I know there have been more plans out there too. You might check with R/CModeler or Model Airplane News.

Hope this helps. Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones

I'm not sure how I feel about paying for RC flight training but this seems reasonable to me.....

MK

Hobby Barn (Marutaka, old Royal kits) sells one for a 90 4c. 52 in WS, 840 sq ins. Nice kit but uses "old school" building techniques and is not a beginners kits. Has a built up cowl and no canopy, just a windshield. Covering mine now.Using a OS 91 4c, 120 would be to large. Should be about 8

Reply to
Russ Miller

Jay, if you get in touch with snipped-for-privacy@blackflight.com he's been producing Pitts S2S (the Jim LeRoy 'Bulldog') plans for a while now - I've got one. I believe he was working on a 100" span model. Might be worth a try. Cheers from Oz.

Reply to
Clive Bendun

Ah yes! Forgot about that one!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Thanks for the replies. Now I have to decide if I want to kit build this one, or maybe try my hand at building from plans.

Thanks again,

Jay B.

Reply to
Jay Bickford

Can any of you guys tell me what the C of G is for your Pitts Special models expressed in a percentage of the upper wing cord, measured at the root?

I have a Pitts Special that I have inherited but I don't know what the C of G is for it. This model has an 79.5" upper wing span and is approximately a

40% scale model. It is a very well done in the Holiday Inn Aerobatic Team colors. It was built from plans but I don't know who drew up the plans and I can no longer ask. I would hate to damage it so I would rather not rely on my calculations alone. Since the Pitts Special, of course, has both staggered wings, and a swept back upper, but straight lower wing, I would like to compare my calculations to what others have. I figured that the C of G should be at 7.55" measured from the leading edge at the root of the upper wing, which has a cord of 13.5". That would be 55.9%.

I figure that as long as your models are built to scale I should be able to translate your measurements to my model. At the very least maybe it will verify, or disprove, my calculations.

Reply to
lenard forder