os fs61

Hello

I am a owner of a os fs61.

I had a very hard landing ths summer and the silencer was ripped off. The threads was destroyed on the cylinderhead. So the silencer is loose except from in the innermost possition. That means that I can't adjust it, and I am a bit worried that the silencer will becom loose in flight.

Do someone have an idea for a fix?

Christian

Reply to
Christian P. Skogdal

You might look to see if there's enough room to drill and tap for the next larger size bolt.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

JB Weld?

Red

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I've seen this before and not seen an adequate fix. Might try cleaning it, JB weld it on and drill a tiny hole through both the muffler and header and put a saftey wire in(for lack of better word). I'm picturing two holes side by side with a small loop of piano wire or some hard wire(stainless?) through it and twisted together. This is just off the top of my head. :) mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Christian,

I didn't think to ask. Were the threads just stripped out or was the ear broken off of the head?

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

We have a bloke here in Australia who puts Helicoils into Four Stroke heads. I am sure there would be somone in your country who would do the same thing. Perhaps Clarence lee??.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
news

Is this the .61 FS four stroke. Or the FS .61 two stroke?

Reply to
Sport Pilot

sorry. did not think of the difference... It is the four stroke.

Reply to
Christian P. Skogdal

You need a device called a helicoil installed in the head to replace the damaged threads. I have never installed one, so I'm no help in that regard.

Maybe some others can chime in and push you in the proper direction. I don't even know where to buy one, although I imagine that a good automotive parts store might be a good place to start looking. The only other alternative that I can think of would be to replace the cylinder head.

Anyone?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Most serious bolt and screw supply stores will have helicoil stuff, but it is not cheap.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Call Clarence lee. He used to write for RCM. I know he does Helicoils for two stroke heads, So I assume he would do it for a fourstroke exhaust socket. look for his advert in an old copy of RCM

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>>>it, and I am a bit worried that the silencer will becom loose in

Reply to
news

news skrev:

Thank you for all good tips.

Christian

Reply to
Christian P. Skogdal

To whomever wanted info on repairing cylinder heads with stripped glow plug threads, noted engine Guru Clarence F. Lee does indeed still repair stripped glow plug threads with a helicoil. Prices run from $12.50 to $17.50 postpaid in the US, depending on engine. Be sure to send the head only (not the engine).

Mail to: Lee Custom Engines, 10112 Woodward Avenue, Sunland, CA, 91040. (818) 352-3766

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

Lyman Slack skrev:

thank you!

Reply to
Christian P. Skogdal

I wouldn't bother fooling around with Helicoils in this instance- Clarence Lee is the best at this sort of thing. You can find his latest address in the back of the latest Model Airplane news.

Harvey Thomasian AMA 901

Reply to
HARVEY THOMASIAN