Outrunner recommendation for Cessna Skylane EP From WorldModels

Hi,

I had planned for a 3D mini funtana this past weekend but by the time I got to my LHS the one last piece was sold out. While at the store, I noticed this beautiful balsa Cessna (41") from World Models and ended up buying.

The stock motor comes with a 3:1 reduction gearbox and folding propellers. I want to go outrunner. I have a e-flite 400 outrunner but can't install that on the cessna because the firewall will only match the stock motor and gearbox.

Does anyone who owned this model have any recommendation for a outrunner that will install in this model without having to replace the firewall? The plane and the firewall is prebuilt and looks very nice and sturdy. Hate to rip it off to install and new custom firewall for the outrunner.

Thanks

Reply to
Geekay

Expect to do surgery to change the motor.

With those numbers it will probably be quite the gentle flyer on a speed

400 (I used to fly a geared speed 400 with a 16 ounce model and 42" wingspan; it was a very nice performer). I suggest you just fly it on the motor it comes with for a while; when the cold weather comes you'll be ready for the performance you'll get from a brushless.

Whatever else, this should be a _much_ better first plane than a 3D anything.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Oops -- forgot to mention.

It should be quite easy to put in the outrunner, though. You should either get one of those back-mounting kits and replace the front of the motor box with one spaced back the right amount for the motor, or add a motor box extension and front-mount the motor on it. It's a fairly easy job if you're experienced, but you're going to have enough new things to learn without having to get that right, too.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim,

Thanks for your input. It is easy to do surgery to change the motor and I can do it. But before doing that I was looking around for some other alternatives where other folks might have done without surgery.

I do wish to use the stock motor but the flying time is just a little over 5 minutes (with 2 cell 1250mA lipo) and also the brushed motor will not last long, I would rather put a outrunner now and save myself from opening the cowl later.

Currently, I'm thinking about brushless inrunner instead of outrunner that would match the stock prop. May be another trip to LHS this evening!!!.

Thanks

Tim Wescott wrote:

Reply to
Geekay

Build whatcha got, fly the crap out of it and THEN "upgrade". That burshed motor will last quite a while if ya don't throw a bazillion volts at it. Pick up a 2 cell LiPo with a higher mAh rating if you want more flight time per charge, or pick up a bunch more packs and take several to the field.

5 mins as a newbie is going to seem like forever until you get comfortable and chances are you're going to crash a few times in the process - no need risking damage to a nice brushless rig while ya learn.
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Well stick a 3 cell 1200 in it, drop the prop to 8 inches, gain 50% power ,get more motor life, and about half an hours gentle flying.

Speed 400s LOVE 3 cells..as long as you drop the prop to keep the current in check.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it 3 cell 1200 mA or 3 cell 2100 mA?

Thanks

The Natural Philos> > Tim,

Reply to
Geekay

Depends on the cells it's built with. All my 3 cell LiPos are of the

1320mA variety (They power foamies and my micro helo)
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego