RCM Plans Service still operating or has everything shut down.

No comments about what happened (a shame but it's a business at the root).

Are they still taking orders and shipping plans?

Reply to
byrocat

I keep wondering why it's a shame that RCM went out of business? They didn't change with the times to meet the needs of the modern modeler who likely isn't into gluing pieces of balsa together. Those who have such arcane interests are a dying breed any way, and it isn't like they are really being left high and dry without any plan services. There are still plenty of plans available from places like Cleveland Models.

Also I wonder why any old time modeler would need a plan service? You'd think they they'd acquire the knowledge and develop the ability to design and build without specifications.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Sometimes older individuals like to attempt to relive their past by building old favorite models from plans.

There are many more of we older/arcane types than you might believe. Granted, lots of us assemble (not build) and fly ARFs these days, but we still glue a few sticks together now and then.

I am sure that someone will make those plans available again. Why? There is money to be made, that is why.

After the current generation of youngsters gets a little older and quits flying altogether, the next generation will consider the previous generation's ARFs and RTFs stupid and uncool. All that will be left will be the real modelers (all ages) that just love to build and fly.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ima Heinemann

Ah, but with plans, it is SO much easier :)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

I'll bet that I could build a fairly accurate replica of several airplanes, just from memory and with no plans whatsoever. I'll bet you, and many others, could too.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

You are a clueless waste of bandwidth.

Reply to
Don Bowey

From Ed Cregger:

Check out the 'Batwing' plane. Though not a replica of anything, it was scratchbuilt from no plans whatsoever, and flies incredibly well.

One wonders if Mr.Tojimoto can scratchbuild anything, or do signifigant mods/upgrades to existing models.

Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

I'm no old timer as Mr. Tojimoto puts it, but I got to say being able t

build does have its advantages. How many times have you seen perfectly good, but slightly damaged plane in the garbage? And at ou field anyways, one hears the phrase "I wish I could build..." alot. Besides, for something truely different, one must be able to build fro plans, or design one from scratch.

So is the RCM plans service still working? I've always wanted a Dirt Birdy among others in high school, but at that age there were othe more pressing needs;

-- sfsjki

----------------------------------------------------------------------- sfsjkid's Profile:

this thread:

sfsjkid

If you don't build, you're not a modeler. Nothing against those who only want to fly, but they're fliers, not modelers. Why should anyone who flies have anything against those who build?

You should be glad that there are people out there who have such arcane interests as gluing pieces of balsa together. Who else are you going to buy your planes from?

Real modelers have planes that people like you can only dream of.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

Some of us are not old timers yet but run into articles and or hear about some plane that looks interesting. In my case I had heard about converting the Super Sportster 40 kit to a twin engine. I bought the set of plans and instructions for the conversion just this past year from RCM.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I'm certain we'd all be jealous of Mr. Akimoto's extensive collection of expertly built Duraplanes if we were ever privileged enough to gaze upon them!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Count me in the arcane group! I prefer to design and build my own. They fly better and I know how they were built! On the drawing board (Actually, computer screen) lately is an unique approach to light weigh foam core wings. I hope to approach the weight of a balsa built up with mostly foam.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have a few years remaining....

and it isn't like they

Agreed.. there are lots, but RCM has/had a great collecton, some classics.....

We can, and do....

Your "modern modeler" is a "model flyer", NOT a "modeler"..

Few experiences equate to piloting YOUR OWN CREATION on it's first flight, or winning a contest with it.

Having done both,many times, I envy no other in this sport.....

Simply put, I invest more, I get more out of it.....

Some reading this comment will understand what I am saying... others never will...

That's OK as well...

YMMV.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

As of the middle of September they were. I bought 16 sets of plans just before the end of the "4 for 3" deal. They made a mistake with one of the plans, and replaced it. This would take us to the middle or latter part of September, and there was no hint of anything being wrong with the plan service at that time.

HTH, PRose

Reply to
PRose

Well Ed I also have a H9 US 40 with seven lovely servos and a Futaba 9C radio to keep me expertly busy; however, I love to fly my T-40. I view the T-40 as the basic abstraction of an aircraft/airframe, and I love to irritate all the old balsa guys with their fancy high falootin' U Can Doskis or Edgies whatever number. With a simple basic plane I can fly circles around all of them. If I did the same with the US 40, they'd accuse me of using an an advanced aircraft.

No I don't like to build, but then in the Navy, I didn't do the repairs or maintenance on the aircraft I flew. If I had to do much more than climb into the cockpit, I'd have asked for a discharge. As for pictures, If you have seen one, then you have seen all!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

bullshit A Naval Aviator doesn't ask for a discharge; he resigns his commission.

What's the first thing you do before climbing into a T-34 cockpit?

Reply to
St. John Smythe

You must be a former P3 pilot. You definitly have the frustrated figher jock mentality. Glad you're no longer in My Navy!!

Reply to
Black Cloud

This man has some issues...

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen

Oh.. by the way.. Since you are accustomed to just climbing into your cockpit, do you have a ground crew to refuel your T-40 or do you degrade yourself by doing it yourself?

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen

I would also like to see Mr Akimoto answer that. I don't think he was a pilot. I asked him some flight related questions a while back and he completely avoided me.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day