welder's rods

I'm currently building the ailerons for my Stuka and the plans say to use

3/32 Welder's rods as the hinge pins. What are welder's rods, are they flexible, stronger? How do they compare with Music Wire?
Reply to
Normen Strobel

Home Depot carries mostly spools of wires for either MIG or fluxcore welding. You want either gas welding or TIG welding rods. Your best bet is to get them from a welding supply house by the box. Your best bet is to get regular wires in smalll quantities from hobby shop if don't plan on using the whole box for weldng.

Reply to
Pjtg0707

In rural area's most feed & seed, farm/gardern, tractor implement, auto parts stores, welding supply, and local hardware stores keep them in stock.

Northern Hydraulic's or Tractor Supply Co. would be 2 chain stores that should stock them.

Lowes, Home Depot many have some of the small packs of 12" rods.

Reply to
emcook

Welder's rods are . . . . rods welders use.

Alloy steel in various flavors, not heat treated. You can get bronze and aluminum alloys as well, but that wouldn't do for hinge pins.

Buy 'em by the pound in any half-decent welding supply shop.

Don't bother with BORG rods, they'll likely be flux coated and you want the bare rods.

I use 1/8" rods for making 4-40 threaded stuff. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan