connecting viewports

Thanks for the previous replies to curved view ports. Also I'm looking to connect viewports (most of our machines still use R-14 full version) . My problem is I haven't found a way to snap the view ports together to match my defpoints rectangles in Model space. I can pan them close but doesn't appear to be a way to snap between paper and model.

Reply to
JG

You could use the "chspace" express tools command to move an object from PS to PS, then use this as a reference for panning.

Another approach - I believe that in PS you can measure distance between PS Vport and an object in MS. Now knowing the VP scale, enter MS and pan the appropriate distance.

HTH!

Reply to
Carl AK

Huh?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

OOOOHHHH.

With multiple overlapping ports the only way to keep them exactly aligned is to either not zoom or pan in them *ever*, or same named views when each is aligned with the other so that you can return them to alignment if you do pan or zoom in either port. Call the views "VP1" and "VP2", and you can restore the port to the right alignment, as long as you didn't change the position or shape of the viewport in the mean time.

You make one port to cover, say, most of the model. You copy it without moving the copy. You stretch one of the ports in one direction, making an "L", and the two remain aligned perfectly. Only if you MOVE one of the ports, or ZOOM or PAN in one or both of them, do they go out of alignment.

Get it?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

run this up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes.

when I have two viewports that I want to overlap I just create those two viewports wherever it is convenient. then, I MOVE one of them by digitizing, snapping to some intersection that exists in both viewports. it's exact, it's quick, and I probably did not explain it well enough to be understood.

let me know if it did not convey. or, if it did.

I NEVER WORK THROUGH A VIEWPORT, because I am aware of my limitations, and I will eventually screw something up. eventually, usually right before crunch time too.

you can digitize a point in a viewport, you just can't modify an entity without opening said view. Lord, I hope that makes sense. move the viewport to line things up.

Reply to
roy

============= You make one port to cover, say, most of the model. You copy it without moving the copy. You stretch one of the ports in one direction, making an "L", and the two remain aligned perfectly. Only if you MOVE one of the ports, or ZOOM or PAN in one or both of them, do they go out of alignment. Get it? ============== Yea I think so, I can see that created as you say they "come into existence" already aligned. But if I pan in floating Model then there is no way to exactly get them back. I will try this tomorrow at work. Thanks. (unfortunately there is no way to "lock" the view in R14" well at least not without some copy workarounds that I've read about). I will just have to hope no one opens my drawing and pans it around.

Reply to
JG

====================== you can digitize a point in a viewport, you just can't modify an entity without opening said view. Lord, I hope that makes sense. move the viewport to line things up. ===================== Well I wasn't sure I understood the first part but the above I think I might understand what you are talking about. I will try that tomorrow at work. I'm new to paper and I did not realize that I could snap a viewport to a model point in floating model which is what "I believe" you are saying. When you say digitize I surmise you mean run a poly around the viewport (in paper) and then snap it to said common model point? And then I'm guessing move the actual viewport to this poly in paper?

Reply to
JG

Right.

Other than Zoom>>Previous, Zoom>>Previous, Zoom>>Previous...That does work. Better to save a view.

Write a warning in PSPACE on DEFPOINTS to the next user about the alignment issue.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

BTW, there's an old routine that will align points in different ports that could be used to get two ports back in synch:

MVSETUP>>ALIGN>>HORIZONTAL (or) VERTICAL ALIGNMENT>>

It's easier just to always return the view thought, IMHO.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

if I can't be clear, perhaps I can be unclear better. : )

digitize, I mean your osnap is on, and when you click on an intersection or endpoint or midpoint, depending on your osnap settings, you get exactly that point. I work with my osnap on and set to intersection & insertion point. OSMODE=96. tend to think that way too. if I were drawing sewer pipe, I would have my osnap set to center more often......

floating viewports do just that, they float. use the move command on the viewport (outline). move the port from a point visible in both windows, like a particular man hole center (which is IN model space), to the same point (man hole) in th other viewport and things overlap and magically line up. you can snap to a point IN a window without opening the window. took me years to discover that, but I kind of work alone. no training.

if only we were in the same room.

one thing I love about floating viewports is stretching the grips. all I have to do is get close with the size and location and I stretch to tweak them if the plans change to be outside the original design. happens more often than you might think.

when I draw elevations of house plans, my elevations start with the front and go clockwise round the house. the main level floor is always at y=0. when I am in paper space I set ONE viewport for the front elevation and I copy it. then I stretch it with left and right. keeping my ortho on when I copy, all my elevations stay lined up. I like that. and the copied viewport has all the right scaling and height and such.

and my elevations I draw in model space, I don't have to think about how they will need to be arranged on the paper as I draw them. those kind of decisions I can, and do, put off till I need hard copy. flexible.

welcome to paper space, I think you will like it here.

Reply to
roy

which reminds me.

I like to hide objects in my viewports so I can hatch behind porch rails

- make those rails regions - and not have to hatch BETWEEN posts. so I hide objects in the viewport.

which works fine until I want a solid fill too. solid fill goes bye bye when you hide.

that's when I used Michael's approach. I copied one viewport without moving it, turned all the layers OFF except the one for the solid fill in the second. hid in the first and showed the solid fill in the second, one right on top of the other.

probably a better way, but it worked.

which I need to start doing now.

regards

Reply to
roy

I do the same thing. I don't understand the problem, I guess ... Anyway, I salute you !

It did.

Yup, 2 VP's, zoom to the right scale, line the VP's up in PS, stretch them ét violá !

The Jester

Reply to
The Jester