dimension problems autocad 2008

Why are my dimension lines stretching when I move an object? It appears that there are points attached to the dimension that will not move with the rest of the drawing and they end up stretching all the way to the new location. This only happens when I try to move but does not happen when I copy. I've never seen this happen before in earlier autocad versions I need a solution asap...... I'm praying there is a simple setting or variable. Thanks in advance, K

Reply to
geo.nova

Your dimensional lines are stretching likely because they are "attached" to the object you are moving. You can turn this on and off as you wish. The help section of AutoCAD should be really good at describing how to do that (now that you know that that is the problem). There is also a command that lets you redefine what a dimension is attached to (I think, but am not positive, that it is "attre" or "attredefine"; I do not have AutoCAD on this cocmputer, so I can not know for sure - it's been a whilse since I've used AutoCAD). Dimensions can be either attached or unattached, and it sounds like you want unattached dimensions.

Reply to
Clayola

Unfortunately, I don't think that's it. I suspect it's a bug because I've had this problem from time to time but find it hard to replicate now regardless of what dimaso/dimassoc setting I've got set. I suggest you just make sure that associative dimensioning setting in your version of AutoCAD are set correctly (for you), and redraw those wayward dimensions - making sure to attach both ends of the dimension to objects. (But I've been lucky. This workaround has only ever involved the redrawing of a handful of dimensions.)

Reply to
strawberry

I know what you are talking about. But I don't know the fix.

I use ACAD LT 2008.

Sometimes I will move an entire batch of lines, etc. with dimensions for them. Everything that the dimensions could possibly be tied to is moved.

But parts of some dimensions will sometimes get stuck in the old location, making that particular dimension only good for deletion. Seems like a bug.

I haven't looked into it particularly as to why.

GC

Reply to
Chips

I've seen this before, and I think it's because at least part of the dimension has been associated to an actual in the drawing plane in AutoCAD. I could be wrong, though. Try selecting all (ctrl-A), typing dre (dimreassociate, dre launches it for me, but that may be something I customized... just launch the dimension re-associate command), then holding down the enter key. It's been a while, but that may fix the problem. Either that, or select all, then in the properties window, select the various items, in turn, that are dimensions (ie: linear dimensions, etc..), then change the properties of the entire group to "UnAssociated". That should clear the problem right up. If this is still not working, then you may need to write your own VBA-Sub to select all dimensions, and set them all to be "Unassociated". If you are feeling really adventurous, try writing a sub that lets you select some objects, then pauses execution, then you can examine that object in the Watch Window; compare a dimension that moves properly to one that you know will not move properly (an example of a dimension that will not move proerly can be obtained when next you have this problem; just choose "undo" until before the move. Then move it again jsut to make sure the probelm still exists (if the problem goes away once you undo the move, then make the move again, then problem solved :) ). If the problem still exists, undo to before the move, then examine, in VBA, the properties of the afflicted dimension and compare them to a properly working dimension. If you can discern the difference, you can probably set that property directly using a VBA-Sub. Just write something that will select all objects that are dimensions, and then change that property in all of them. Or, find someone who knows what the hades all that gibberish means and ask them to do it. I could do it myself if you cared to email me an example of this problem occuring (a .dwg where the problem occurs - if I have an example, I can do much much more). I ahve AutoCAD 2005 at home, and I think AutoCAD 2007... or maybe 2006... just don't ask where I got it >:P

-Clayton

Reply to
Clayola

I've seen this before, and I think it's because at least part of the dimension has been associated to an actual 2d or 3d point in the drawing plane in AutoCAD. I could be wrong, though. Try selecting all (ctrl-A), typing dre (dimreassociate, dre launches it for me, but that may be something I customized... just launch the dimension re- associate command), then holding down the enter key. It's been a while, but that may fix the problem. Either that, or select all, then in the properties window, select the various items, in turn, that are dimensions (ie: linear dimensions, etc..), then change the properties of the entire group to "UnAssociated". That should clear the problem right up. If this is still not working, then you may need to write your own VBA-Sub to select all dimensions, and set them all to be "Unassociated". If you are feeling really adventurous, try writing a sub that lets you select some objects, then pauses execution, then you can examine that object in the Watch Window; compare a dimension that moves properly to one that you know will not move properly (an example of a dimension that will not move properly can be obtained when next you have this problem; just choose "undo" until before the move. Then move it again just to make sure the problem still exists (if the problem goes away once you undo the move, then make the move again, then problem solved :) ). If the problem still exists, undo to before the move, then examine, in VBA, the properties of the afflicted dimension and compare them to a properly working dimension. If you can discern the difference, you can probably set that property directly using a VBA-Sub. Just write something that will select all objects that are dimensions, and then change that property in all of them. Or, find someone who knows what the hades all that gibberish means and ask them to do it. I could do it myself if you cared to email me an example of this problem occurring (a .dwg where the problem occurs - if I have an example, I can do more, as long as I have that version of AutoCAD at home, which I might).

-Clayton

Reply to
Clayola