adjustable anvil height

I'm looking for ideas for adjustable-height anvil stands. From class to class, people of different statures and needs will be working at each of our forges. Being able to quickly and easily change the height of the anvil would be a Good Thing. Heck, I wouldn't mind having such a thing for myself.

- Carl

Reply to
Carl

The easiest I've heard of is to use a container full of sand... to adjust the height you just add or remove sand. One of those smallish barrels used for motor oil would probably work really well.

Reply to
jpolaski

Carl,

My approach has been to make the height of the stand suitable to the tallest family member using it (me) and then using throw-down bases (such as 2x12s) for my wife and kids.

So, they just step up a couple of inches.

That seems to work for us.

Reply to
vtuck

A sable base and a stack of oak planks with pegs to keep them stacked. That way you just add or remove planks as needed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Francis whitakers book the blacksmiths cookbook has plans for an adjustable anvil stand as used at the john c campbell folk school Paddy p the wannabe

Reply to
Toolgypsy

Francis whitakers book the blacksmiths cookbook has plans for an adjustable anvil stand as used at the john c campbell folk school Paddy p the wannabe

Reply to
Toolgypsy

Pricey book these days:

Check the description in the last entry.

What was the original cover price?

- Carl

Reply to
Carl

That tells me, they don't really care about what they do. I see a lot of that. :/

A normal price, betcha.

Those prices are ridiculous.

The public (or college) library can "get" you a copy and they have a bunch of copiers too. ;)

If someone wants to play games with prices like that, then I feel justified playing the game too. Turn-about is fair play.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Looks like it is still available:

I'd suggest trying Norm Larson ( snipped-for-privacy@impulse.net). He has most blacksmithing books available.

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Nope, the system takes the order, but later a human sends a note apologizing for the error.

Apparently the replacement book is "Blacksmith Craft, The Legacy of Francis Whitaker, A - Vol. 1" at $52

Hmmm... Is there a website?

Reply to
Carl

Nope. Just write him. He does most of his selling hauling a huge stack of books to smithing events out west.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Which I now have. Good book. Bound like a grade-school textbook, it should stand up to a lot of use. There are some typos here and there. There is no mention of an adjustable height anvil stand.

The try is in process.

I may end up at a library I know _claims_ to have it and spend some time and money at the copier.

Reply to
Carl

This is the replacement book that FW was working on when he passed on, however it is a completely different book with totally different content completed by some of his close friends and colleagues.It is in fact volume one of two volumes ,the second is being worked on now. Paddy P the Wannabe PS you could try a booksearch for the out of print "blacksmiths cookbook" Carl wrote: Apparently the replacement book is "Blacksmith Craft, The Legacy of Francis Whitaker, A - Vol. 1" at $52

Reply to
Toolgypsy

It is a good book, but if it's not the same content, it's a poor _replacement_ eh? I'm looking for info that's in the original.

BTDT. Check my posting on the 15th. I also did ABE, Alibris, eBay, Amazon...

The copier will cost me less than the $110 to $700 the scalpers are asking.

- Carl

Reply to
Carl