forge welding

Has any one here ever heard of useing hydrated lime as a flux for welding?

People do not know,because people do not do.

Reply to
Hamma Head

Nope. But just read if you put it in solution with water you wind up with a pH of 12.4. Think I'll make do with borax ;) .

dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup

Reply to
doug roberts

Thanks,guys.I read of someone useing lime for flux on another forum,..and was curious.Seems like it would be a lot easier on refractory than borax.

Reply to
radial notion

Refractory is an expendable component in the process. It wears out and you replace it. I'm on my third lining, and it's firebrick and concrete. Try to find out just what materials this fellow was using with the lime flux; seems awfully reactive to me, and high heat usually just accelerates the reaction. It would be damn hard to look at too, remember 'limelight'? You might have to resort to the welding mask from the arc welder. Go slow, safety first, stay upwind, plan ahead.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

Thanks for the warning and info!