forging in cold (freezing) weather

just an added note here. if you guys go out in the morning and start up your little giant or mayer brothers or whatever kind power hammer (mechanical) you have, be forewarned. that big spring is not the same animal it is at room temp. get your shop temp. up for at least 1 hour before you use your power hammer or it could kill or mame you. have fun, mark

Reply to
Mark Finn

Generally machines are designed to take temperature swings into account.

But the effect of age on large springs is not well known. What study you've read or personal experience can you pass on to us?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

i remember something in one of the clifton ralph power hammer instruction vhs tapes about the dangers of power hammers in cold weather. also several years ago there was a big push in the anvil's ring to get guards on all mechanical hammers. i don't remember all the details, but someone took a broken spring fragment to the head.......killed him ! have fun, mark

Reply to
Mark Finn

I'd certainly recommend a guard for the spring, but I have seen many trip hammers running in unheated buildings without any parts flying around. I wonder how many Little Giant users are still using the original 80 to 100 year old spring. I'd worry more about that. ---Or do something about it. Maybe a new trip hammer spring would make a great Christmas present from a "significant other". Especially when all you have to do is order one from:

I don't mean for this to be a commercial, but a new spring solves many other problems, too. When people ask me
about strange things going on with their Mayer Bros/Little Giant trip hammer, that's one of the first things I suggest. Pete Stanaitis

rigger wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Thanks Mark & Pete. You may have saved someone from a serious injury. Come to think of it I had a coiled overhead door spring fail on a very cold day; replaced them both.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger