Handedness in Tongs

What's the big deal about whether tongs are right- or left-handed?

I've read any number of 'recipes' for making tongs and many of them get very specific about "handedness", i.e. whether the left-side piece is the upper or lower rein.

I've made and used both 'left-' and 'right-handed' tongs and have yet to find a difference. If the joint is in good shape, the tongs work.

Have I just displayed some abysmal ignorance? Am I gonna get kicked out of the club for heresy?

(Scissors are another thing, handedness _really_ counts. I have a set of lefty scissors in my shop and they're just the thing to hand to a righty who's getting uppity without good reason.It's funny. Usually they'll hand 'em back saying they're dull. So I cut a paper towel with 'em. Right handed. And hand 'em back.)

- Carl

Reply to
Carl

No big deal as far as I can see, I suppose if you has a set of offset tongs that are designed to be used left handed then you might have an issue using them right handed.

A standard set of wolf jaws can be used in either hand, along with any standard straight tongs.

Regards Charles P.S. I'd like to see an > What's the big deal about whether tongs are right- or left-handed? >

Reply to
Chilla

It's common in manufacturing to call-out parts in a "handed" manner. I believe you could say it's a shorthand phrase meant to allow the manufacture of an "opposite handed" part without having to execute another drawing (which will have only minor variations from the original).

dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup