Help with an old post drill

I picked up an old post drill today at an estate sale. The only marking on it is "PD20." I don't think it is a Champion or a Cannedy-Otto (the pulley for the belt drive doesn't look like the ones in the pictures I've found. Maybe an ACME.) The drill is intact and turns but will need some major cleaning.

Cleaning part of it I found an oil hole. What do these things need in terms of lubrication. Squirt some oil in any hole and lube the feed screw? I'm assuming there are some bearings in it somewhere. Maybe a set where the feed screw mates to the quill. There's a fitting that connects the two with a small bolt at one end and what looks like a pin at the other. Set of bearings at the top of the feed screw where the downfeed gear is attached? I've always wanted a post drill, but have never ever seen one in person before today. Any help is appreciated.

T. White

Reply to
ta_white2

If it turns, rotates, slides, or otherwise moves, slobber a bunch of oil on it. Once it's cleaned up a bit (or a lot) you can afford to be somewhat less generous with the oil, but the locations are the same. Some of the sliding surfaces like the quill may be better off with grease. If you do find any ball bearings, they are pretty like to be buggered but a clean will tell. A dollop of heavy grease is called for on assembly. Take a close look at the balls, and the track rthey runn in (the races). If either are seriously pitted there may be need of some remedial work or you may just fit a bronze or brass washer or washers in place of. From the few post drills I've seen, the likely spot to find a bearing is as a thrust bearing in the downfeed mechanism. Any other spots are as like to have a steel shaft running directly in cthe cast iron.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones