How tight fit of hardy tools?

I am brand new to blacksmithing and anvils. I have a HF 110lb anvil and am making a cut-off tool for the hardy hole. How tight a fit should I strive for? Should I be able to remove the tool by hand or should I have to drive it in and out of the hardy hole?

Thanks. John

John,

You should be looking to have your tools fit into the hardy hole loosely by hand. What I mean is that they should be secure and not fall out or flop around when you use them, but, they should be easy to remove with your hand. If they fit too tightly into the hardy hole they may cause more problems if they are worked too hard. For example, if you really wail on a hot or cold cut that is tight in the hole, this could cause the heel of the anvil to crack through the hardy hole. Not something you want. If any of your current tools fit tightly, consider filing/grinding them so that they drop easily into the hole.

Hope this helps, Paul

It should be removeable by hand without tools. But snug enough so it doesn't twist in the hole. You certainly don't want to have to drive it in, or you might be tempted to leave it there when it's not in use.

Pete Stanaitis --------------------