Rail anvils again

I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them at present and what I am doing with them:

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Reply to
spaco

Nice.

Dad had one - grandsons have it now - rats - B-52 Machine shop turned for him the horn was turned and top milled. It was nice looking.

They had big - big lathes.

I have a 3' one - not shaped - sitting on my bench. It was a main line rail and is heavy.

Wish I could get some heavy load rail - it is much larger yet.

Mart> I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Where's the picture of the Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Reply to
Curt Welch

It'll take a while to find pix of it, but we will try. The pix were taken before the days of digital cameras, so it's a job of searching through several totes. BTW, it weighed about 6500 pounds.

He made many of them of differing sizes. 18" high, 6 feet high, 11 feet high. We have an 11 footer in our yard. If I can't find pix of the big one, I'll put up a picture or two of that one. But I will try to find 39-footer pix, because it was pretty impressive. There's an interesting, but sad story that goes with it.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Curt Welch wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Well, don't waste too much time just for me. But it would be neat to see it.

Did any of them move, or where they just static sculptures?

Curt

Reply to
Curt Welch

Static. They were simple skeletons. I just added a few pix of the smaller ones here"

I will take some better pix, too, since I have to go outside and take more pictures of my recently collapsed 40 X 60 pole building where I kept my trip hammers, tracked vehicles, tractors, etc..

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Curt Welch wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Reply to
Curt Welch

Sorry to hear about your building. What happened?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Two feet of snow, then a few more inches, then an inch or two of ice. It was 40 years old and had hand built trusses. We think either the glued and nailed gussets failed or the one of the trusses pulled free from post it was bolted to.

Some Pix at:

All of my snow removal equipment was in there: Backhoe Plow Truck Case Diesel with bucket not to mention all the other stuff, like 15 Cushman tracksters, power hameer collection, Ford 8N, 5 Cub Cadet garden tractors, and on and on and on. Not much damage to anything but the plow truck which wasn't covered by insurance because it's an "automobile".

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

Reply to
spaco

Here's my little rail anvil. It is great for small shop uses, like straightening stuff.

Nice.

Reply to
Ignoramus29439

Cool. :)

CF&I called their high-silicon rail "HiSi" and they made a "CroMo" too. I don't know the composition of either one tho. :/ And never felt like a got a straight answer what situations they were best for either, so won't repeat 'em here. LOL :)

It's my understanding the rail is made to be as pure pearlitic as they can get it without going over-board with the carbon content. The surface of the pearlite rail is ripe for work hardening like the head of a cold chisel. It does get hard! Just try filing or hacksawing a notch into the top of a shiny rail. ;) So, power hacksawing a used rail in half was kinda like slicing a cold chisel down it's length starting with the work hardened top. The hard top and thin web would take its toll on the 6 tooth per inch hacksaw blade. I used to joke after the first train rolled over a brand new rail "it looks like it won't last a week ;)" and every one would laugh in agreement. The first train would mash the crap out of the soft pearlitic surface. :)

Because of the work hardened top and the thin web we'd get 4 rails maximum out of the power hacksaw blades. Wouldn't even chance a forth use if it could delay a train, so many times would just use a power hacksaw blade 3 times then save it back for one more cut when it didn't matter if it quit cutting on us.

You did as good as you did with your bandsaw blade and 6 cuts for a few reasons and one was because you were lubing the cut, we'd just use plain water. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ retired SP signalape

Reply to
alvinj

Pete,

Your service provider sucks, they have a block in place and will not do anything about it.

The only way to get through to your site is to use an anonymous proxy.

This is not such a big issue for me, as kproxy is only an inconvenience. However is someone were to google your site and try to go there they would just get a time out.

The problem is that people give up.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Works fine for me every time.

Reply to
Stuart

Which is okay, but you don't live in Australia.

The last time this happened, I contacted the provider and they told me to my face that there were no blocks in place, and it "must" be my provider.

I spoke to someone else further up the food chain, and I found out that they did have a block on .au (the whole country), due to the amount of spam coming from Australia.

They removed the block.

This has happened again, and I've checked with other service providers here. There are no blocks in place at my ISP.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla