Storing your stock

Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Reply to
spaco

Nice list Pete!

I store lathe rounds of bronze in a heavy duty tool chest. Ball bearing ways. I have cast iron in the bottom drawer.

I have a 6' tall 3/4" exterior plywood shelf (have 2) - I made in the early 70's. Real 3/4. Bottom shelf - up top a box base are tool cases.

A shelf up is milling squares / rectangles and longs - A shelf up is my heavy SS bars - 24" x 3 x 1/2. SS blocks, and exotics. A double shelf up holds small sheet scrap. Scrapped off my CNC plasma work. A shelf up are some rods and odds and ends.

I store sheet in three places - need to make a super strong holder - I lean sheet up to 1/4" (from 18 ga.. 16...12, 10, .25) the thin stuff up to 4'square while the last two are typically 3x4'.

I lean 3/16, 3/8, 1/2 AR400 plate typically in two or three stacks - The 1/2" due to the weight by itself. I try to keep each sheet 125# or less. Some push it but I tried. The sizes fit the targets with less scrap.

Mart> Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Funny. For some reason, I thought the subject was: Storing your socks

Even after looking at your web page, I couldn't find where you said how to store you socks! Thought it was some sort of Christmas Stocking joke or something!

I store my _stock_ on the floor of my garage because I have no wall space or any other decent options. My garage is just big enough to fit 20ft long stock from the back wall to 1" of the garage door. To keep it confined to a small area, and to keep it of the sometimes wet floor, I created some simple supports out of 1" angle iron. The angle is turned open side down to form a triangle the stock rides on and I welded two flat 1" strips on each side of the angle to hold the stock on the angle iron. That keeps it off the floor and in a nice confined pile.

Reply to
Curt Welch

i have found that here in the south west, for most of my clients, rusted steel is a look that is popular. storing stock outside in the weather does that for me. if i need clean hot or cold roll. there is a supplier here that keeps me stocked. it also looks a lot better in his yard than in mine! however, storing scrap has been an on going battle. have fun, mark

Reply to
Mark Finn

Yes, "scrap" (which is the stuff has has no current use, but is just to good to get rid of) certainly is an issue for me, too. That's one of the things I use the old round grainary for. For instance, I once was driving home from work an noticed that a construction crew was reworking a few bridges on the interstate. They had piles of re-rod all bent up and cut up in pieces about 2 to 5 feet long, that they had cleaned the concrete off of. I stopped at a couple of those sites over the next few days and they allowed me to load up all I could into my car. About 500 pounds. Well, it sure is hard to pile bent re-rod nicely, so I guess you could call that pile "scrap". Now and then when I need some re-rod for a project, I will straighten (hot) a dozen pieces or so, just out of guilt for having such an ugly pile.

Why did I want the re-rod at all? At that time, we were jsut starting to make maple syrup. We cooked the sap down in our wood-fired home-made evaporator

if you're interested) and I made the grates out of re-rod that was about 5/8" round. The re-rod just barely made it through one season. It was simply eaten away by the heat/oxydation. Sure, I had plenty of re-rod, but having to make new grates every year and having to deal with the sagging was a bit mcuh, so we finally switched to commercial cast iron grates.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

Mark F> however, storing scrap has been an on going battle.

Reply to
spaco

Been cut off from your web site again :-(

Airstream seem to be doing weird things again.

I'll try again later today.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Nope still no good, I'll try tomorrow.

Reply to
Chilla

In the last 32 hours, I have gotten 5 visits from Australia; one each from: Adelaide Perth Sydney Canberra Melbourne. That's pretty average for me. I will keep checking to see if anything changes. I hope it's not the Russian thing again.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

Chilla wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Your site and

to be fine from here in the UK

Reply to
Stuart

Still can't get through.

Can't seem to find a cause... very frustrating :-(

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Sent Brad an email, he's looking into it.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla