tapping holes

I need to drill and tap holes in 1 inch x1 inch sq. alum. tubing with

1/16 wall thickness . I want to screw 4 side pcs. on the corners for stiffeners. what size of dril and tap might work or any other suggestions appreciated hlb
Reply to
Hlb hlb

The rule of thumb is three threads in the metal.

I'd suggest PEM Nuts they press in and are threaded holes.

Mart> I need to drill and tap holes in 1 inch x1 inch sq. alum. tubing with

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for reply .Are PEM nuts plastic and who would be most likely to stock them. One more question ? Have you had any experience with astralloy alum. welding rods using acet.and oxy. torch instead of bolting on a side piece thanks hlb

Reply to
Hlb hlb

Pem nuts are made out of various metal - Al, SS, and such. I don't recall seeing any in plastic. They would have to be welded.

Check out

Likely have reps on the web.

R.C. Dudek & Company, Inc was/is one. CA, WA, NC.

Check the web.

Mart> Thanks for reply .Are PEM nuts plastic and who would be most likely to

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn