1 inch helical indexable endmill cutting 1.75 deep slot in A36 plate

Has anyone had experience with a three flute helical endmill cutting

1018 steel plate? I have had different opinions on running this endmill in steel. It seems that the recutting of chips is the biggest problem. The endmills work great on cast iron as I was told but don't do a good job in steel. This was only one person's opinion. Has anyone else had experience with these cutters in steel? I have about 200 feet of 1"x1.75" slots to cut.

tia

John

Reply to
john

John:

Many insert endmill manufacturers make "coolant through" designs to help flush chips out of the cut (Mitsubishi, Iscar, etc).

Or you might try trochoidal machining the slots with a smaller dia. solid endmill:

I remember someone posted a vid of a deep slot being done wicked fast, can't find it now.

Reply to
BottleBob

\

Thanks for the reply Bob. I went ahead and ordered a twelve insert helical mill with a 1.75 inch reach by 1 inch dia. The thing worked great but I had to lower the feed and speed a little because my control would not let me go over 100 % on the spindle hp. I was cutting the full depth of the cutter at about 70% feed rate and rpm using a full 15 HP. in A36 plate. The cutter held up fine and saved me a lot of time. The machining was done on a Monarch vmc150 with GE 2000 control. The machine had through the spindle coolant but it was partially removed before I got the machine. One of these days I will get the missing parts and replace them. The plumbing and pump are still there but the rotary joint and some other parts are missing.

John

Reply to
john

I don't have coolant through, but would it do anything in this case? if you are fully through the part, coolant out the bottom of the tool would do nothing. right?

do some tools spray sideways?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

All Thru-Coolant tools I have used are coolant thru the tool to the cutting edge.

Reply to
brewertr

The slot was for 3/4 or 7/8 'T' nuts. It was a blind 1" wide slot

1.75 deep. Feeding coolant from the side worked ok even though the cutter had a coolant hole for each insert. I have to get that through coolant option fixed. A couple of hundred pounds of coolant pressure would be nice.

John

Reply to
john

I guess I had an image of a drill stuck in my head.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

measure the thread size and look here

Way back when, when I was in the machine repair dept, I could get unions for about 1/10th of the machine manufacturer.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I forgot about these guys till you jogged the cobwebs. Bought one from them about 2 years ago, great quality & delivery (off shelf).

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Good idea.

Reply to
brewertr

Thru coolant insert drillls with enough coolant pressure will scare you. I ran a job using a 1.125 inch insert drill doing a 1 inch deep hole in about three seconds, just make sure the coolant system is in good shape. The 40 hp spindle motor sure helped a lot. I had to crank up the rpm over ride all the way with the programmed spindle speed maxed out to get a good chip ( 6 ). It just started to cut good at 2800 rpm and with the override I could get it almost to 2900 where it ran smooth.

John

Reply to
john