A DAY AT WORK...

Ok...I finish up a part, and I have 5 minutes to kill...so, I bust out the book. The makino mill i was running has a tool changer that loads the tool into the next available pod in the carousel. Basically tool 1 is in pod 5.

So...you come up to the mill and it has 10 tools in it. You open the carousel window, look and decide you want the tool in pod 14. You have no idea what tool it is.

Current way of finding out...

Load tool one...nope....load tool 2...nope, load tool 3...winner. FUCK THAT! If it feels stupid, you prolly look stupid doing it. And it feels stupid! So I looked for the place that listed the pod versus the tool number, so I could see what tool is in the pod I want. I found it...now I look...BAM I got my tool. I call up tool 3...done!

Guy walks by,....WTF are YOU CHANGING? (I look down, sigh...and say I'm not changing anything, I'm looking for the place that lists the tools in what pod). I get a "WHY! Why would you need to do that?" I say because, I don't feel like calling up 7 tools till I find the one I want?!?

"It doesn't take but a minute, so why bother".

OK... I'm not a mill hand, I'm a leadman...so I say to myself..why bother trying to convince this guy 3 minutes vs 3 seconds is a bad thing, I have a responsability to make a profit. So I ignore him till he goes away.

***** Now...I have to ask WHY THE FRIG DO PEOPLE GET INTO CNC AND TECHNOLOGY IF THEY ARE NEANDERTHALS? WHY NOT JUST STFU AND LIVE ON THE DRILLPRESS TILL RETIREMENT?

Damn this used to bug the hell out of me, make me fighting mad. But now, It's like arguing with your wife..waste of time. So I ignore people. I figure nobody want's to take it to the level of stepping outside...and these neanderthals surely will never go to the boss or owner because they know the management is against status quote. And as far as making me look bad...pffft, bring it. I'd relish the challange, but that won't ever happen. Close minded folks fear open minded folks. My only regret is it took me over 20 years to get to where it doesn't bother me. I bet I quit 7-8 jobs over crap like this. Kickass jobs.

These folks have to understand I'm a surfer. I'm on my surfboard riding a wave in, and they think they can stop me, but what they don't get is I'm riding a wave that literally cannot even be slowed down, it's just too damn massive.

I can hear em now in their interview... "I embrace new ways, I'm always looking for the fastest way to do a job blah, blah, blah," MY FRIGGEN AZZ! Here's how the interview should of went...

" I will come in here and soon feel like I deserve more money because you trained me. Then, I will become set in my ways and treat open minded people like sabatours. Status quote will become my motto. I will have a negative attitude whenever someone has a new idea..and yes, I better get more money each year as I basically produce things at the same level as when I was hired. And yes, I will hate this company because you will be using me and my great collection of skills."

Am I wrong here? Did I sum up 99% of the shitheads in cnc>?

Shit. This reminds me of King Arthur and the round table. What that round table did was bring together factions of armies. Arthur would say "WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE?" If you said 2 men, a stick and a cookie...you were escorted out of the castle. If you said " I bring 50 special forces, 100 spears made of iron, and 20 women to feed the army...Arthur says...Have a seat.

Next time your interviewing a person ask them... "what do you bring to the table?". Then write it down and stick it in a file. Review time comes...bust out that file.

Friggenbozo says "automate...remove the humans, make a profit."

Reply to
vinny

My boss is an engineer who started his company right out of university.

I was planning a part made of delrin. Was planning to drill, bore, OD turn, and cutoff (sounds like four tools).

He suggested boring directly from solid instead of drilling (eliminate one tool). Imagine my surprise when he demonstrated on a small manual lathe.

I then decided to grind the boring bar into a grooving tool as well, and the entire part is turned with one cutting tool (drill/bore/turn/ groove/cutoff), and a bar puller (spindle has to reverse for OD versus ID work, and stop for pull).

Total cycle time including bar pull is 20sec instead of 50sec with four tools at 6.5sec per turret index.

It's quite refreshing (though sometimes frustrating due to ego

+previous experience) to work with someone that has no preconceptions, but has a good mind. My previous job was working with a bunch of tool makers who all had the same skills, the same training, the same parts, the same same same way to do something (and getting stomped by low cost countries who can learn how to do the same same same for cheap cheap cheap).

When we removed production from China and started in sourcing our turned parts (gasp), we _started_ with a 4-axis CNC lathe. One machine, one setup, one finished part.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

One of my favorite terms is," I didn't know it wouldn't work... so I tried it". It's one of the reasons engineering managers many times give the new tasks to the fresh out of school engineers. I think the machining industry has been a double edged sword. On the one hand it was proper to assign the newbie to the senior machinist. Sometimes they picked up the bad habits. As tool technology has changed some of our seniors have not embraced this change. One situation I find is with all the new tool cutting strategies, some of the largest shops here in the US have not yet adopted them because of the "change factor". I'm still asked to do the same old toolpaths I was doing 20 years ago. If you ever wonder why the latest cutting tools are metric sizes... it's due to the customers they serve. If the US was the driving force trust me - they'd make them first in English units.

Reply to
Bill

So what was the solution to your original problem? Not that I don't care about the touchy feeling emotional response your having. I just might need this info at my next place or be able to use it on the next machine setup. DMG lists the tool number along with the pocket they are in. I forget how G&L told you the pocket / tool relationship works.

Reply to
Mike

On a Makino with their Pro series control, you go to the tool page and see what tool is in which pot . Any machine I've ever seen has some flavor of this - even if you have to go to a parameter page.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Would that be English like press 1 for English & 2 for Spanish? Working in a metric shop now for a few years, IMO after 30yrs of working in INCH units, the metric system is much easier. mm-cm-m - just move the decimal over. 2 place metric dimineions are close enough for most everyday work.

I'm all for new cutting strategies. Same old toolpaths as 20 yrs ago? Some times the old tried & proven way is still the best for that particular situation.

Reply to
cncmillgil

You mean like the .182" dia holes I reamed with a .218" dia reamer for

3/16" dia ejector pins yesterday?

Fuckity f*ck f*ck f*ck... these 70-80 hour weeks are starting to catch up with me. :/

Reply to
Black Dragon

Dood, I was on the drill press this weekend, dropping in 48 3/4-10 I bolt holes. I'm half way done and luckily got sent to the cnc dept. The thing is...Screw stainless pre-hard! What a major waste of time and materials. I bet we could shave 20% off America's output dropping that crappolla. But...I guess then I'd get laid off. Owe.....nevemind/

Reply to
vinny

My employer has no drill press, the radial drill was scrapped about 6 years ago. That'd be done on the HBM (CNC) and the threads would be milled.

WhatyoutalkingaboutWillis? Some of my favorite materials to machine are pre-hard or hardened. H-13. DH2F. Viscount 44. S-7 (RC 54 and under). P-20 std and hi-hard. NAK 55 and 80. 420. And I'm even the kind of sick f*ck that enjoys machining 4140HT/4130MOD. Why machine everything twice when most of it can be done just once from pre-hard. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

NAK 55,80 ahhhhhhhhhh my fav. That $shit$ can be welded w/o any sink marks! & acid etched after words w/o visual defects( well almost) pretty f''in close.

48/52 Rc H13 is the tiky for hard milling.

-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13=A9=AE king

cncmillgil

SS probably required for the medical/food industry?

-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13=A9=AE king

cncmillgil

Optical and PVC too.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Geeze, at least your shop still has a drill press. Most have gotton rid of'em. Plus you get to use it!

**** Yah, it was a blast....not. But, at least I can walk up to that drillpress now and run it...might come in handy showing a new guy how to run it. lol
Reply to
vinny