Application-Specific Taps

To All:

Here's an advertising blurb from "Production Machining" magazine that highlights some cut taps for specific materials from Dormer.

The Shark range of application-specific taps are available with ANSI shanks and DIN overall lengths for extra reach and compatibility with convenient toolholding, according to manufacturer Precision Dormer.

Cut taps available include Silver Ring for steel, Black Ring for hardened/tough steel, Blue Ring for stainless steel and Green Ring for aluminum. The color rings on the shanks of these taps denote the primary material group the taps are designed for. When used in conjunction with the company's Application Material Group charts, the ring color coding makes it easy to choose the right tap for an application, the company says. All of the Shark taps are available in spiral flute and spiral point designs, in UNC, UNF and metric sizes.

The taps are designed to include high productivity, long tool life and excellent chip management and evacuation. Surface treatments and coatings include Super-B, TiAN, bright finish and a combination steam tempering/TiAN. ============================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

Bob, Another good source of information on taps is the OSG website:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Steve:

Killer site. I especially liked the coating types list.

I tried printing out the tap recommendations but I could only print the first page.

-- BottleBob

bottlbob

I'll drop off a copy of their CD catalogue the next time I am at Avion.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Go to the Emhardt site and download their Helicoil utility. Select the Helicoil you want and then hit the tools pull down. It's all there.

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll PM it to you. The Exe isn't large. I've also got the Dodge stuff and it's on the web site as well.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

coating types

Where can you find tap drill sizes for HeliCoil Forming taps?

I need some machining tips.

Sounds like a chance for a survey.

Reply to
Half-nutz

John:

Thanks. I'll stop doing a print screen to paint to printer process. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Ok Bob but you'll have to actually show up at the shop. You remember how to get there???????

Reply to
John R. Carroll

For next time..... when I have printing problems I create an empty word document, then go to the web page and select the text, tables or pictures I want. I paste these into the blank word doc along with the URL of the page. I can then save the doc for future reference or print it out as needed. Printing a web page to a PDF is sometimes useful too.

There's too much good stuff on the web, problem is I sometimes can't find it again when I need it!

Reply to
Den

Something I've experienced in the last year or so is the inability to print to Distiller. There is apparently some embedded security token and after waiting an interminable length of time you get a message instead of a PDF.

My 64 bit machines use something Microsoft ginned up called XPS Document Writer and for some reason that works.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Besides this morning at seven and again at noon you mean? Hey I snapped a 5 month old throttle cable clean off.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Busted! You didn't stop by the shop the last couple of days, did you? I mean it's 4th of July holiday week, right? LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Den:

Thanks for your response. I use Word Perfect in the same manner, but this time the complete chart didn't come through. I also have Adobe Photo Deluxe that I use for this sort of thing. I just hadn't got around to using it before John replied.

Reply to
BottleBob

John:

Sorry I missed you.

Well, that's what you get for being a lead-foot, but then if you weren't performance oriented you wouldn't be driving a Vette. You need to get a Z06, they're throttle by wire (electronic), no cable to break.

Reply to
BottleBob

LOL This from guy that said I ought to disconect my oil temp. sending unit so I'd quit worrying about 257 degree oil

I didn't realize I had a problem until I shut the cruise control down after hitting a little traffic at I-10 going south on 405. I was going 80 and it was time to start hand flying. When I put my foot on the accelerator pedal I noticed it was laying on the floor board. I also noticed - keen observer that I am - that I was in bumper to bumper traffic at speed and in the left lane with the shoulder on both sides occupied by those T shaped concrete thingies. Decelerating steadily - a real no-no unless you want Peterbuilt stenciled on your bumper or maybe your ass, was a real concern.

I hit the cruise/Accel and drove the car down into Culver City and then called AAA for a tow.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

This Balax site has a ton of stuff. It has hole sizes for STI forming taps. It also has oversize recommendations for plating allowance, and one thing I found interesting is they make a forming tap that forms the minor dia. of an internal thread.

Best, Steve

Reply to
GarlicDude

John:

I was just tryin' to lower your stress level. LOL

Jeeze, in triple digit temperature. That must have been fun.

Reply to
BottleBob

Steve:

In digging around looking for STI form tap info. I saw this site that seems to have quite a few technical drilling and tapping tips. Well worth a read, IMO.

Sorry for the long URL, but when I made a tiny URL it wouldn't go to the Tech Tips area.

Reply to
BottleBob

That's not as nice as a rusty, well tuned Saab.

Reply to
Half-nutz

Goofball ya should always adjust so that there's a tiny bit of slack left in the cable unless you've done shoved the pedal clean through the SHEETMETAL.

Reply to
over a barrel