CAD/CAM for Hobby Users

Many of you may have already seen this on another CNC Forum but I'll repost it anyways.

And please do not take this as any sort of spam anyone. That is not the intention.

Ok, so we are willing to try this out. I have talked to hundreds of different users out there that would enjoy having a complete CAD/CAM system but just can not afford to pay for one. Some systems as we already know offer competetive pricing although some also do not direct themselves at the hobby market.

We believe our hobbyists are just as important as a large corporation. We have added a hobbyist link to our webpage. Due to forum policies, I can not publicly discuss pricing although we would be happy to do so in private.

Feel free to take a look, send the info and give it a whirl. (Dolphin Hobby Page)

(Dolphin Main Page)
We are hoping to help thousands more out there as we have helped many already.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
rodneydeeeee

Okay then, my apology for the initial grief--I post under several nym practical basis anyone worta flying 4 fduck ek plonk can tell cool so welcome aboard.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Its actually on topic and is a totally appropriate post according to the newsgroup charter.

Last time he did similar he caught hell here but only because his post was poorly thought out and contained some patently absurd claims etc.

So long as he doesn't get outa hand with excessive volume or frequency fine with me and likely fine most other regulars.

And a note to rodneydeee :

IMO you would likely gain substantially more credibility here if you were to also make a habit of occasionally contributing to the current discussion.

Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

================ Its on topic, and may be of help/interest to many of the contributors.

A emulator/simulator program that is totally free and works pretty good [no macros] can be downloaded at

FWIW -- It would appear that one or more of the major controller manufacturers, e.g. FANUC, Siemens, etc. would make their emulator/simulator software downloadable for free. This would make sure that internet community is most familiar with their controller. Another possibility is to include with the cnc texts such as Smid's "CNC Programming Handbook"

In fact, I can see a USB "control panel" with jog buttons, etc. as a profitable adjunct. Membrane switches are cheap.

I don't know if they could compete with the gameboys and xboxes, but they would gain name brand recognition and familiarity. What you learn on is what you want to use at work.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Shop remains very, very busy with 50 hour weeks being the norm. Getting new Dell 24 inch monitors at work which will be used for a dual monitor setup for Mastercam X2 MR2. I'm looking forward to putting the Mastercam Operation Manager and the Layer Manager on the second smaller 19" monitor. I'm hoping when Mastercam X3 comes out it will allow me to change from say a contour to a pocket or vise versa without having to back out and start again like you have to do now. I'm using Mastercam's contour ramp toolpath a lot as I like the toolpath it creates. Wish it had a way to leave stock in Z for a finish pass. If I want this I have to create a new contour toolpath and drop the Z level from say 0 to .010 above the floor of say a counterbore. It's extra work and I see no reason why the Mastercam contour ramp toolpath shouldn't have the ability to do a finish pass.

Still have a lot to learn about Mastercam. Problem is the San Diego Mastercam VAR really sucks / is worthless so we all try and help each other out. Wish Mike Mattera would offer more extensive CD's for X2. His good 2 1/2 axis mill video stuff is only available for V9.

I'm doing a lot more prototype work rather than production. My programming time is way up which I like. Currently working with a lot of Pro-E IGES files. So far it all imports very clean with no problems. I'm getting paid so well now and having so much fun with the people I'm working with that I'm thinking of taking no new client work. Major shortage of good machinists in San Diego, CA probably helps my current situation.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Hi George,

Thanks for the input. We do have a few different videos available for download on the site. In regards to the actual customer and end user animiations... Most customers don't want that info out there and we have a client confidentiality policy that doesn't allow us to share other customer's parts. It may be helpful though if we created some more directly and posted them. In regards to posting and what it can do, there is not any machine out there that Dolphin can not work with that accepts g-code. We have many options built right in, obviously our Level 3 packing the most power. We also do have many users out there that have a MC or GC or Pro E or something within range to handle there more complex 4/5 axis parts. They'll use Dolphin for they're everyday 2/3 axis needs. It's a very powerful and easy, yet affordable system that helps many out there.

Let me know if this helps.

Reply to
rodneydeeeee

============ Don't bother with a p*****g contest. Many of our more prolific posters would complain if you hung them with a new rope....

If we expect the machining trades to continue, these must be perceived as an enjoyable and productive career with opportunity for innovation and creativity, rather than a bunch of "crabby old men," and ==> entry level "tools" must be available and affordable.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

If Dolphin is any good it should be directly targeted at BobCAD and OneCNC XR2 users. We have several in this group. It doesn't take much to be better than either of the later products. I wonder where OneCNC XR3 is? It probably was a massive rewrite from XR2.

BobCRAP 2007 is probably the worst product they have ever released. BobCAD has no one to blame but themselves. No real beta testing, arrogant beyond belief, no interest in listening to real world users.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

BottleBob,

The majority of our business is small machine shops. The whole "hobby user" idea has just came on. We will definitely still continue to market for the machine shops. We are just giving it a try to market directly to the hobby users and give them a fair option. We have several shops across North America that use Dolphin daily.

Thank you.

Reply to
rodneydeeeee

Hi Matt,

Occasionaly the download will take you to a "Yahoo Page Not Found". I have 2 computers. The computer with Norton always directs me to that page. The computer with AVG always works perfect. I am not sure of this and will continue too look into it. Anyways, I have sent you an email with the download link directly so you can bypass the "filling out info" page.

Hope this helps, thanks Matt.

Rodney,

Reply to
rodneydeeeee

You need to do a better job of marketing Dolphin to small job shops. You need to directly take on Bobcad. Sending out postcards isn't the answer.

Video and telemarketing is the answer. What works best often isn't pretty. Most people don't want to get their hands dirty and do what it takes.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

This would be useful when using the "plunge" option with ramp contour...step down .200 at a time & 1 final pass of .010. I don't have Mastercam in front of me, tho I think Helix bore does offer some sort of different option for finish passes

Reply to
zymrgy

Interesting. I usually just use the ramp contour at whatever DOC I want, and then do the "make complete pass at finish depth," and add a little bit of overlap. I always get a good finish that way. No need for an extra pass.

Reply to
Joe788

Wow, everyone here is so nice to each other, lol. Imagine everyone on these topics working in a shop together. That would be fun. :)

Reply to
rodneydeeeee

Some people are forced to open their own shops because no one can stand working with them. Same reason a lying scumbag like Joe788 won't post with his real name and location.

Can you feel the "Love" in this newsgroup?

LOL

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I opened my own shop because I wanted to make $1,000,000 a year instead of $100,000. Some people have slightly more ambitious goals than being a 47 year old CNC Operator, but to each his own.

Plenty of people here know my name and location. YOU just aren't one of them, because you're a sociopath with nothing to lose.

How's "Knopp Machine" doing, Captain Anonymous?

Reply to
Joe788

What is your real name Joe788?

Where are you located?

Why do you have to hide behind an alias instead of posting with your real name?

Are you afraid you might be held accountable for your many, many lies because you're a lying scumbag piece of shit?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

What lies? List 3 please. With direct quotes and dates.

Reply to
Joe788

Post your real name and location you chicken shit little pussy and I'd be happy to prove you lie in court.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

So you say I'm making up a bunch of lies about you, but then you can't list any of the lies? You should be able to come up with at least 3? How about 2?

If you want to babble about court, maybe you should have a chat with the folks over at the Modern Machine Shop board. They weren't too thrilled with YOU posting with MY name, claiming that I'm selling cracked software. You DO realize they can tell when you're posting under multiple names with the same IP, right?

Remember when you got caught by Franco Folini?

"UPDATE -- July 8, 2007 -- I had to close this blog post to further comments and to remove the personal attacks between Jon and some other newsgroups readers. Before the interview, I made an agreement with Jon about the style of the interview and the way to handle it. Jon didn't respect our agreement, posting comments under fake names. Jon's authentic and fake comments are all posted from the same IP address,

72.199.251.224. I can now see that my trust in Jon was misplaced."
Reply to
Joe788