CNC Machining Examples

1st video:

Golf Club 5 axis moves....made the 1st part out of aluminum to test out a new (CAM) 5 axis post. The actual clubs are made from solid block of stai nless.

This first setup shown in the video machines all dimensions, it completes a ll finish dimensions on the club except for one (the face of the club). The first operation mills every thing and leaves break out tabs on the clubs f ace, the club is removed from the left over material blank by hand.

There are pockets in this club that are not shown because they are propriet ary. These pockets are used to mount the club on fixture and orientate the putter face for machining. The 2nd and last machining Setup is one rough fa cing pass, one finish pass, one pass to mill a groove (swirl) pattern on th e face of the club in one pass.

2nd video:

In this next video I am machining all sides of the part in one setup, on e chucking. The interesting part is at the very end. Fast forward to the en d of the video and you will see me snap the completed part off the material blank. Video shows a Lot of moves to the Laser, this is tool break and edge chip d etection. Quick cycle checks for broken tool, longer cycle is checking the edges of end mills to see if any are chipped.

3rd video:

Here is another "One and Done", one setup where I machine all sides of t he part, complete all finish dimensions in one setup on a 5 Axis VMC. I the n break out (cut out) the completed part at the end.

This Video only shows me separating the finished part from the left over ma terial blank at a desk, this is usually done at the machine itself. I'll have to take a photo of the completed part and some sectioned renderin gs so you can appreciate it being a one and done.

At the end after the part separates from the blank, I run a hand burr tool around the break out edge and part is complete.

Next video is Volumill cycle pocketing a chassis. 6061 Aluminum, 1/2", 3 FLT, Niagara CARB EM, 6,500 RPM, 1" DOC, 30% Step Over, 350 IPM feed, floo d coolant. The crackling noises are chips and coolant flying out of the poc ket. It is a perfect balance for this particular machine and these style po ckets.

6,500 RPM is what I call the sweet spot for this machine. It's where the to rque curve and HP curves cross on this machine. The tool used and all the o ther machining variables are programmed and set so the machine load meter n ever goes over 100%. Also it makes the chips fly up and out of the pocket, no re-cutting of chips or chip packing.

-------------------------------

For "One and Done's" (videos to come) we cut material in Cold Saw, put in S elf Centering, two jaw vise and machine the part complete (with break out t abs). When the machining is complete we snap the part out and all machining is complete. We use Erowa 148mm Receptacles on the machines.

We use 148mm Erowa style Pallets, Dovetail holders and 2 jaw self centering vises made by 5th Axis Fixtures:

Some of what we use are shown here,

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Here is a video taken at the machine of the finished part and shows more part detail.

brewertr

Love they vices, I try to use them as much as I can on my 5axis jobs.

DanP

Reply to
DanP