cutter comp on lathe

I was going through old posts, found G42 is for OD turning. Does it matter is the tool is LH cutting edge up or RH with the cutting edge down, Slant bed lathe with turret behind chuck centerline.

Randy Remove 333 to reply via email

Reply to
rbraun333

snipped-for-privacy@enter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I barely want to go there. I can't take another round of Cliff's lathe programming idiocy.

To answer your question, cutting edge up or down doesn't matter. It's the direction of travel that determines if you use G41 or G42.

Also be sure to check the builders manuals for the direction as well as the direction of the imaginary tool point (usually the "T" value on the offset page). Some machines are back-asswards, and some controls are different as well.

Reply to
D Murphy

It's a Hyundai HIT18S latrhe with Siemens control, so far I can't find it in the manuals. The Hyundai manuals are just reprints of the Siemens manuals.

Randy Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If Hyundai set it up according to convention then the Seimens manual should be all you need.

Maybe Tony will chime in. IIRC, he has quite a bit of experience with seimens turning controls.

Reply to
D Murphy

the tool is LH

behind chuck

G41 and 42 aren't exactly for OD or ID turning. They're "right" and "left" cutter comp. Here's what that means:

Put your part print on the floor. Stand on the print, with your feet on the line or contour you're cutting, and your toes pointed in the direction of cut. G42 will put the tool on YOUR right. And G41 will put it on YOUR left.

The above assumes that when you're standing on the print, with your toes pointed at the chuck, X+ is toward your right. If you have a machine that uses X- for normal diameter programming, then G42 and G42 will be reversed. (So will G2 and G3).

As someone else mentioned, you'll need to look at the tool point definitions (T offset value), and set those properly.

HTH KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

is the tool is LH

behind chuck

I think I got it. I let you know what happens.

Tool offset is by touch probe.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

is the tool is LH

behind chuck

No. The touch probe only sets X and Z values for your tools. Your offset registers will include X, Z, R, and T. R is the raduis of the tool nose, of course. T is (on most controls) an integer from 0 to 9 that determines how the control will use the R value and G41/42 calls to place the tool properly on your work.

Look in the manuals for the diagram that describes T settings. Typically, you'll use T=3 for OD tools and T=4 for ID. Sometimes it's the opposite, though, so take a careful look.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

matter is the tool is LH

turret behind chuck

Ive found being a moldmaker, hold the print over your head & look down at your part=3D electrode.

Reply to
cncmillgil

is the tool is LH

behind chuck

Yeah. Mold makers do everything backwards or inside out.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Plan View (Inverted) LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Classic joke that went around in the 70's (maybe earlier): A couple construction guys standing in front of a large deep hole in ground - staring at a print they're holding upside down... of a skyscraper.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

is the tool is LH

turret behind chuck

ahhh, I have that page marked with the tool types. If you have the wrong T type entered and you touch off on the probe the machine will error and tell you wrong tool type. R is entered on that same page.