DIY coolant tanks....

Awl --

I am now the proud -- and broke -- owner of a 2013 Haas GR510, delivered Tues.

Yes, you are reading right, a work envelope of OVER 60x120"...... Equivalent to over 15 Fadal 3016s!! holy shit.....

After that delivery, my adrenals have pert near collapsed, and my low testosterone has gone from low to Zero... I should be forming ovaries, just about now.....

And, delivered with no coolant tank, because the dims of the 95 gal tank are a staggering 48" x 78", and I'm already just about squoze out of the shop as it is. Here's the Haas coolant tank (in yellow):

Big footprint, but low profile. I would think a low tank has inherent problems with sludge, etc, but which can be "designed" out, with baffles, filters, alladat, which I think the Haas tank does..... at $2600!

So I gotta kluge up my own, which will save some space, save some bucks. But, so far, even diy ain't cheap. Here's what I've found, with a height contraint of 12".

48 x 24 x 12 $377 60 gal 6.28/gal

30x24x12 $218 37 gal 5.89.gal.

30x24x12 $242 37 gal $6,54.gal.

Heh, I've thought about fish tanks, but seams are proly not a good idea here.... lol

Does anyone have better sources (read: cheaper) for this type of product?

I actually need to physically span about 60" (the table width), and here are some design considerations:

Are two smaller siphon-connected tanks essentially equivalent to one long tank, ito typical expected coolant fluid draw and return? Iow, will the fluid heights of the two tanks essentially match, during active draw and return? Iow, are there any significant drawbacks to siphon-connected tanks? I would need two of the 30x24x12 tanks to span the machine, for 74 gal.

But, do I really need so much coolant capacity? Mebbe smaller tanks under each return trough would do? The fadal VMC (3016) has a 35 gal tank, and I always thought THAT was pretty big.

Open Gantry machines probably don't use high vol. blast/flood coolant like an enclosed VMC, but the table area is much bigger, so it probably takes much longer for the coolant to get back. But my machine also has programmable coolant, which should make coolant usage even more efficient, volume-wise.

What is the practical difference between polyethylene and polypropylene as tank material? Are there common products made of these, that I would recognize, so I would know the diff?? Like plastic kitchenware?

Appreciate all input, idears.

Reply to
Existential Angst

A plastics shop can weld stock sheets into rectangular volumes pretty inexpensively. If you cut the pieces I am sure they could do it for even less.

Reply to
anorton

In days of yore, photogs with the need made washing trays for really big prints from plywood covered with glass cloth and resin. Could even put in baffles and such. More like boat-making, really. Could even go further and make a floating lid, they did the same with really big tanks of processing chemicals. Would be just a shallow tray. Could custom make any shape you wanted to fit, even banana, if you were good at bending.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

You may want to look at the Ronco catalog.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Yes, plastic-mart lists Ronco products, and the winner looks like

This is what they call a rect. "blank" tank, which seems to mean it is actually SIX-sided, and you (or they) make custom cutouts, for fittings, etc. This is actually pretty neat -- not as pretty as the tub-type I linked, but proly better. Siphons carry their own risk, as would any tank-to-tank plumbing, whereas with this item, I only have to worry about the integrity of the tank itself..... which hopefully will not be an issue.. Probably a stack of 5 gal pails would be a good thing to have in a corner, in case of some mishap.

Also, the price is cheaper on plastic-mart, altho they still have to tell me what shipping is. This used to be a strategy of Northern Tool, much cheaper prices (like, by 50%, even over HF), but stratospheric shipping. We'll see.

Btw, plastic-mart does a much better, more complete job of listing Ronco products than Ronco does.... WTF??? lol

Reply to
Existential Angst