English bike lovers...help!

Gee Gunner Harley's only put the oil back in the ground where it came from, ain't that GREEN, libs would love it .

Reply to
Why

The only problem is...if any other bit of machinery dripped that much oil..the EPA would be called in and the enrire parking lot ripped up....

But there are Harley riders in the EPA...... That Harley Lifestyle, doncha know....fringe, Fat Bobs, fat ol ladies in chaps and tats, on the back of a $60,000 ride....

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My two Harleys ain't leaking much, maybe I should check to see if their out of oil?

Why

This when I was on the DARK side, Lucas Prince of Darkness. This was one of my AJS's the one I machined a complete primary case out of 6061.

Why

Pulled the Honda XL 350 out of the weeds today right after I got home from So. Cal.

Gently kicked it once...didnt seem to have proper compression, so pulled the plug, spritzed in Kroil, gently kicked it over by hand with the plug out a few times..then let it set for an hour. Put the plug back in, kicked it over a few times..each time compression came up..rings must have been stuck a bit. Last kick was pretty stout. Plug was covered with soot, when the ex roommate fired it up...no idea if the rings are toast, or he was running it really rich.

I stopped in a bike accessory shop, picked up fuel lines, tube for rear tire of the BMW (wont hold air) new plugs for both bikes, new fuel filters and a 6 volt battery. I was going to get one for the BMW (current one is toast)...BMW shop wanted $280.....gack...generic bike shop wanted $119. Ill take measurements...but I think the 12vt

430cca battery used on riding tractors and sold though Autozone for $29 will fit......hope so.

I get to power wash the BMW and the XL 350 in the morning..while its raining...sigh...

See what they look like under the spoog.

Ill be asking for advise on what to do about rust through on the BMW mufflers.....BMW wasnt ....read.....hang on....hold it....here it comes.....$489...for EACH of the two mufflers (silencers for our Euro friends)

Fuck that...Orange juice cans and hose clamps......

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If not, there are several generic motorcycle batteries out there. Or you could use a high-rate gel cell from a UPS.

Probably pick up aftermarket glasspack mufflers for less - Thrush has an 1-3/4" in/out tube 3" OD x 12" body, 17" overall length...

Or a generic small car muffler for a Honda or Hyundai that has the right basic dimensions, and they make cone adapters you can weld to the existing header pipe. So what if it's galvanized steel and you have to make up a heat shield out of perf metal to protect your leg...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Looks like the dumsumbitch may have burned out the coil. He had made a complete rats ass out of the wiring.

More diagnosis to follow.

Anyone got a decent 6vt motor ycle coil collecting dust someplace?

Mounting issues are easily solved

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Older automobile ignition coils, the ones with the resisters, were 6 volt coils. When starting they were connected directly to 12 volts for a bigger spark but when running the resister was switched into the line to reduce voltage to 6 volts.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

And if the bike really is 6-volt, you can get 6V 4 amp-hour Gel Cells at any Home Depot as Emergency Light replacements. Might take three in parallel to get cranking current out of them

Or just give up on electric and kick start it, use the battery for the coil and lights.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Here now! A REAL cyclehead would kick it. Electric starters are for Democrats :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

I second Bruce-in-Bangkok. I just sold a 600 Husaberg 4 stroke high compression single. It had both a kick start and electric(the electric could drain the battery very quickly). However, when riding fast and hard it was possible to kill the engine by overbraking. Pulling the clutch and hitting the starter button while still moving at a good clip, it was sometimes possible to restart the engine and avoid having to stop and kick it. A compression release is mandatory for kick starting a big single. I have ridden 500 BSA, 500KTM, and a 500 Ariel thumpers. All had compression releases. I had one on my 400 Husqvarna 2 stroke. It made starting much easier, and allowed for easy clearing of a flooded plug. I think that I would replace the coil and just upgrade the rest to 12v.

Reply to
Stuart Fields

I dont think it can be upgraded to 12vts, after a considerable amount of research to date.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner there are circuits that are called voltage doublers that could take a

6 Volt generator output and double the output voltage. Of course the current would be halved. I haven't looked but it sounds like there aren't any generators, and I assume that alternators aren't available to fit, that generate 12Volts?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Fields

Not quite correct They were generally 8 volt coils. 6 volt coil primary is 1.14 to 1.26 ohms. coils for 12 volt with resistor ate generally 1.57 to 1.73, and 12 volt coils with no resistor are 3.1 to 3.5 ohms.

12 volt e-cores run nominally 1 ohm with some electronic ignition coils running closer to .75, and CDI less than 1/2
Reply to
clare

run. You need a magneto coil to make it right, but a 1.14 ohm (6 volt) coil MAY get you running.

Reply to
clare

A spark retard for starting is a good idea on 500 singles too - particularly when running Alky and/or Nitro on a hillclimber.

Reply to
clare

Back in the days of my misspent youth I had an 80 cu. in. Harley, stroked to 96 cu. inches. (1,573 CC, for those imperially challenged). In those days of illegal street racing the faster 1/4 mile motorcycle in S. Florida.

Anyway, since Harleys of that vintage had only kick starters I happily kicked it the whole time I owned it never knowing that future generations would think I was disadvantaged. (weighed 132 lbs in those days :=)

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

I had a look at your wiring diagram. It is a 6 volt system. Can't change it. Go down to Western Auto, or PEP Brothers and buy an ignition coil (or go to Honda) connect it like the wiring diagram shows and try it. Damned coils only cost a buck or so.

What kind of ignition you got on that welding machine you are trying to unstick the piston on? Try that coil.

These things ARE NOT rocket science.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Actually what you have is a sort of compromise. A winding in the alternator that supplies voltage to a ign coil and a separate set of points that time the spark. You still need the ign coil. But try a cheap standard ign coil. If it runs then go buy a real Honda coil.

Look at it like a country boy, "if you can't break the horse to saddle then you got to walk to work" :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Yep, I had compression releases on my AJS's & Norton 500 thumpers, since I'm only 125 lbs I needed them, didn't need one on my 400 CZ single. Gave that to my son 20 yrs ago & he still has it.

Reply to
Why