Excellent Service From Hardinge

I'm having a work holding problem with out of round bar stock on a lathe part. A serrated collet seemed to be the answer. The Hardinge website is a tough go for special orders in my opinion.

Phoned Hardinge and got an order person. As soon as I started to pepper her with questions she transfered me to a very knowledgeable guy. He answered questions and gave suggestions. I told him I was old school and preferred to do specials by phone. He said he was old school also and gave me his direct dial number if I need any further help.

Great service!

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

They are not bad over here either. Prices suck but the service is good.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

LOL Another way of putting that is that price isn't as important as value.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

I like their gear and can even see the difference between the real deal and the import shit, but here's a working example.

20mm 16C collet from Hardinge USA $69.50

The same collet from Hardinge UK. Hmmmm at todays exchange rate about $96. Was more like $130 a couple months ago.

Of course we can't but from Hardinge USA.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

How much demand would their be for a service where an individual will buy Hardinge and other "restricted" parts for a lower US price and air post to the UK, to a home address, possibly as a "gift," with payment by personal check?

If it can be done with the cheap Canadian meds, why not the cheap American parts?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Students here in America do it all the time with texts. In the UK, the reverse would avoid their VAT and be halted in short order.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

Thats a farce and waste of resources too! VAT registered companies get charged the 15% (Was 17.5%) VAT on import and then claim it back.

Of course even the UK price I quoted earlier was less the VAT.

There probably is a market here for grey imported tooling and no doubt an opportunity at least for a while.

Isn't it any wonder that the chinese import stuff is so popular, I have used chinese collets and can't really say I've had real issues with them apart from less spring than a real Hardinge 5C or 16C item. But the Hardinge stuff is really nicely finished off in comparison, and most likely much better made.

I was suprised when recently I bought a collet from a well known UK manufacturer (Crawford Collets) and when it arrived it was an Import! So they are not even bothering to make their own now.

Wayne.....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

What did Hardinge UK have to say for themselves when you pointed this out Wayne? They must have an explanation.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

Can you avoid the VAT tax using ebay or internet ordering?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Yes there is, it's F'n expensive to do business in the UK.

Reply to
brewertr

Place is a damned ROCK! What didja' 'spect? LOL

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

When we traveled there for the first time cost of living was shocking to see. When we were paying $1.25 gallon it was $6.00 gallon there. A $1.99 at Dennys here equivalent cost $15.00 there. Computer $1,200 here equivalent about $4,500 there.

But one thing that still stands out in my mind was when people told me they had to pay a use tax on TV antennas to watch broadcast TV, what we consider "Free" TV.

Everyone seems to criticize English food but for us it was great. Lot of ethnic foods to try, Indian food was outstanding. I don't know where the bad rap comes from, maybe it just helps to know the locals.

Most embarrassing, the only American TV show I saw was "Jerry Springer", no wonder they think poorly of Americans (Pre-Bush).

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Yep, and they are real sticklers. There was a big rumpus over there about this recently. Seems they have coppers specifically assigned to deal with scoff laws.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater