Fadal Rigid Tapping

Threaded View
Rigid Tapping-Fadal 4020
Trying to help a customer out that is having problems (spiral taps
breaking) 1/4-20 .800 deep,blind hole. The material is 304ss.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

DaveB

Re: Fadal Rigid Tapping
Try increasing the drill size.
This will reduce the % thread, but if the application
is not critical, you can get by with less thread.

Also, try a thread forming tap.  They are much
stronger, don't pack chips and in some materials
yelid a stronger thread.

Good luck

Jim

Re: Fadal Rigid Tapping

My first choice would be to use form tap if wall thickness allows.

Next COOLANT if water soluble run rich. For recommended oil/coolants
it has been discussed in this group a number of times.

Is machine speed correct?
   I would start off at the high end of recommended
   speed by manufacturer. Often running slow/slower
   is the worst thing to do.
Is machine feed correct?
Is the hole diameter size correct?
Is the drill walking?
Is the drill diameter depth deep enough?
Is the hole chamfered?
Is tap in alignment with drilled hole?
Is tap spinning in holder?

During cycle how are the chips forming? Are they always coming out of
the hole cleanly or sometimes packing?

Peck Tapping cycle; don't know what controller they have or if it will
even work on Fadal but on Fanuc I sometimes use a peck tap cycle
(rigid tapping "ONLY"). By putting a "Q" into the rigid tap cycle
(like a peck drill cycle) it will peck tap the hole. Worked on Fanuc
21i and may work on others even though I have never seen it in any
Fanuc manual.

Tom

Re: Fadal Rigid Tapping

Tom:

    I'm not aware of any special "Peck" tapping cycle for Fadal controls.
  But it's easy enough to use multiple regular rigid tap cycles with
increasing depths on the SAME hole.  As long as the start parameters
stay the same the tap will enter at the same point.
    But if on pulling out there are chips hanging on the end of the tap,
they could bind on reentry.

    Has anyone mentioned thread milling?

--
BottleBob