FS-Engine Lathe- So. Cal.

Engine lathe for sale. Ameri Tech Gap

10 x 40 approx between centers 3.15 approx spindle bore 16 speeds 25 to 1800 rpm,s approx 100+ feeds .0004 to 0.0926 per rev. #4 morse taper 2 speed tailstock good shape. call Kenny for more details. 805-983-6033 snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

According to Gunner :

[ ... ]

Hmm ... what makes a tailstock 2-speed? Is it powered, or is there some mechanism so it moves a greater distance per turn of the wheel until it sees a load, and then drops to a higher mechanical advantage?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

They are usually geared down, Most of the Lodge & Shipley lathes had a two speed tailstock, a real arm saver when trying to punch a 3" drill through a chunk of 4140 :-) I think the L&S I used was 5 to 1 ratio. Normal was .250 a turn and slow was .050 per turn. With the smaller drills or in aluminum it was almost like freewheeling through it in low range :-) But at .050 a turn it took a lot of turns to go through 8 inches of metal.

Reply to
James P Crombie

I have a Leblond and an Axelson that have two speed tailstocks. On the axelson you pull up a pin and pull the hand wheel out. On the Leblond you pull a sleeve out that is located on the hand wheel. I have never looked at what the ratio was but like James says, it sure is a lot easier drilling with large drills.

John

John

Reply to
John