Help! Bridgeport slide kaput

I know this not a CNC question but I thought there would be people on this NG that can help me with this one. Here is what happened: It got to the end of the stroke with the motorized thing & jumped the track in there so that it no longer moves left to right. I have heard of this happening before in fact seen it, but I forget what you do to set it to rights. I have this vague memory that there is a collar in there that encloses the worm gear that is designed to separate in extreme circumstances. This is an old change belt drive model. Where can I go for guidance? Thank You,

-plh

Reply to
plh

Are you talking about the power feed? Might check for an overload circuit breaker. I know the Servo models have them, it's along the bottom front edge. Not sure if the older Bridgeport power feed units have a breaker.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Sounds like you have a Bridgeport power feed, what with the worm gear. Sorry, I don't know anything about how those are put together. Might try posting in rec.crafts.metalworking. Also, there is a Bridgeport specific group on Yahoo you might try.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I don't know why that would have anything to do with the DRO. Practical Machinist also has a forum that might be of help. A manual would probably help also, I'm sure that you could find one somewhere online.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

I know this not a CNC question but I thought there would be people on this NG that can help me with this one. Here is what happened: It got to the end of the stroke with the motorized thing & jumped the track in there so that it no longer moves left to right. I have heard of this happening before in fact seen it, but I forget what you do to set it to rights. I have this vague memory that there is a collar in there that encloses the worm gear that is designed to separate in extreme circumstances. This is an old change belt drive model. Where can I go for guidance? Thank You, -plh

Reply to
Janes

Thank you for your response. Actually it is not now at either extreme of travel. I should go into more detail about exactly what happened. After the initial shock at the end of the power feed travel, for a short time it was possible to move the table, but only after several revolutions of the handle, then it would begin to move. When this stopped being possible it was roughly in the middle. In any case I am looking for exploded view drawings of this thing so I can anticipate what I will encounter. I think it indeed is off the half nuts, but I am not sure what you mean by lifting and pushing back on the slides/nut. FTR this is a Model BRJ 1 h.p. A 9BRJ and 12BRJ both exist but I am not sure which this is. They have the same dimensions. I was able to unearth an old user's manual, which is where I got that information. The power feed is a Servo power feed Type 100. The DRO is AcuRite III catalog #387 Thanks,

-plh

Reply to
plh