Lubrication of lead screws with teflon nuts?

I happen to know that the 100" long Y axis in my router is on it's last legs. It's got one of those anti-backlash teflon impregnated plastic nuts, and supposedly, you should never oil it because it will damage it. I don't know why this is, but I can only assume that either it's because the oil will attack the plastic nut, or oil will attract dust and make for an even more unhappy lead screw. My question is.....

Is graphite OK? It's dry and inert right?

I just need it to last a few more weeks before I can get a new one. It's progressively getting worse and worse and makes weird groaning, moaning and otherwise unhappy noises when it rapids above like 200 IPM - I think it's .400 pitch FYI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Andy B

Reply to
Andrew Baker

"Andrew Baker" wrote in news:nC3%d.84121$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Teflon has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of any material. Likely, if it's making lots of bad noises, there is no teflon left in it. Adding oil or grease is just going to fill the nut with sawdust....

Reply to
Anthony

moaning and

Andy, If the nut is still taking up backlash, you might be able to get a good deal of time out of it yet with some lube. I think it is likely an Acetal Nut rather than teflon, but you could be right.........

I have used Slick 50's ONE Lube on Acetal nuts (like what Kerk sells in their VHD series). Seems it does not eat the plastic at all. Makes those nasty groans go away.

Chris L

Reply to
grumtac

supposedly, you should never oil it because it will

Right - I mentioned that point - which is why I was wondering about graphite. There's a good chance that the teflon is toast. Aside from the Slick 50 OneLube? suggestions? so far it seems like the best one. Does it dry?

Reply to
Andrew Baker