Machining copper

Threaded View

101 or 110? I have a prototype job coming up where I'll be machining
about 100 weird small gaskets out of copper. I don't look forward to
milling copper (I'm more of a plastic guy). I know, two flute, high
RPM, coated carbide, light DOC. My question is this, given a choice
between 101 and 110, does anybody know which is better to machine?

Thanks

Re: Machining copper

I know nothing about machining copper.

If you are just making flat gaskets, I would look into having them cut with
a water jet.

Re: Machining copper

Dave Lyon wrote:
snip

Not just flat. Protrusion features on both sides (two setups). Will
require a 1/32" endmill for a .039" slot. Max spindle speed only 5000
RPM.

While we're at it, should I dump the water sol coolant and switch to
oil for one job? Perhaps a can of oil and a brush?

But the question right now is do I order 101 or 110?

145 etc is not an option.

Thanks

Re: Machining copper

FWIW, McMaster rates both alloys "poor" for machinability. Why are you
constrained to those choices?

Re: Machining copper

Smitty Two wrote:

snip

Yeah I know, something like 20%, but I'll bet one is better than the
other.

Why am I constrained to 101 or 110? It is not to me to reason why....

Re: Machining copper

If it weren't for bosses, customers, and engineers, work would sure be
more palatable.

Re: Machining copper

110 much easier than 101 - 101 is oxygen free, electronic grade - very
gummy, loves to gall & weld to tools.
Try some 145 when you get a chance = mechanical properties similar to 110,
MUCH easier to machine.

Re: Machining copper

110, water based coolant works well too

ca

Re: Machining copper

clay wrote:

snip> >

Thanks Clay, that is what I needed to know.

Site Timeline