Machining copper

101 or 110? I have a prototype job coming up where I'll be machining about 100 weird small gaskets out of copper. I don't look forward to milling copper (I'm more of a plastic guy). I know, two flute, high RPM, coated carbide, light DOC. My question is this, given a choice between 101 and 110, does anybody know which is better to machine?

Thanks

Reply to
Polymer Man

I know nothing about machining copper.

If you are just making flat gaskets, I would look into having them cut with a water jet.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Not just flat. Protrusion features on both sides (two setups). Will require a 1/32" endmill for a .039" slot. Max spindle speed only 5000 RPM.

While we're at it, should I dump the water sol coolant and switch to oil for one job? Perhaps a can of oil and a brush?

But the question right now is do I order 101 or 110?

145 etc is not an option.

Thanks

Reply to
Polymer Man

FWIW, McMaster rates both alloys "poor" for machinability. Why are you constrained to those choices?

Reply to
Smitty Two

snip

Yeah I know, something like 20%, but I'll bet one is better than the other.

Why am I constrained to 101 or 110? It is not to me to reason why....

Reply to
Polymer Man

Reply to
John&Michelle

If it weren't for bosses, customers, and engineers, work would sure be more palatable.

Reply to
Smitty Two

110, water based coolant works well too

ca

Reply to
clay

snip> >

Thanks Clay, that is what I needed to know.

Reply to
Polymer Man