Machining CPM 10V

Has anyone had experience machining CPM materials? If so whats the cutting speed (sfpm) for carbide milling & HSS drilling? Crucible says its :Machinability in the annealed condition is similar to T15 high speed steel.

Thanks

Reply to
milgil

Boy its been a while since I've frequented this groop or should I say.... whtever Thanks for nothing I will close with a simple statement

Cimatron has always ruled, & everthing else druels Thats it in a nutshell you dufises Have a nice life

Reply to
milgil

Yes. Machinable harden up to 64 HRc. Your question is rather open as there are a number of possible answers. If harden, your best bet is to use a hardmilling approach with high speed machining strategies. These strategies may or may not incorporate high spindle speeds for roughing but may in finishing. Drilling depends on the hole size, depth to length ratios, the cutting tool and a host of other attributes. Overall considerations need to include the part configuration, the machine tool, the brand of cutting tools, do you have oil mist, spindle type, how the part is being held, etc.

In the annealed condition, more traditional machining techniques can be used. Actual SFPM will depend on the brand and type of cutting tool including the milling strategy to be used as well as the type of coating if any. No real pin point answer as there are too many unknowns. It could be 30 SFPM or 560 SFPM or more or less.

gary

Reply to
g-a-r-y

Ok 30-560 sfpm - wow come on now. My bad, I'll be specific now. I'm using a 6mo. old & never seriously crashed Hurco VMX 24 3axis vertical bed type machining center-, box ways in Z & linner ball ways X & Y - 15K rpm (with cooler) spindle 40taper hi perf. coolent pumps water (not thru spindle though)- no oil - the latest & greatest Hurco software in a conversational control (2 screen type) - Ive been finish

3D machining Titanium AL6 so far at around 100IPM with no problems on "jitters". The machine is capable of getting close to the "high perfomace" machining zone, but I doubt if If I'll need it cutting mainly TI & CPM with some AL occasionally. The holders are Kennimetal hydralic lock straight collets. no TGs or ERs so balancing is not an issue at the RPM I'm running so far. Hope that explains the machine? In my honest opinion the machine itself is fairly rigid, + its been my experience in the past with Hurcos, they are very good at taking a pounding with big shell mills for roughing, being the "volkswagon" of cnc's, & able to cut TI for a long time before "falling apart" like a Haas or Fadel. Its , yet. The parts are clamped very securely in Kurt angle lock vises mounted directly to the bed. Depth of part profile is no more than 1" & is open on the outside - I use mainly TiAln coated carbide end mills up to 1/2" dia. & Kennimetal indexable button insert shell mills 3"dia. so whats a good starting point for CPM10v - annealed - soft - not hardened- ? 30sfm for carbide, I dont think so way to slow. 560sfm.=3D bye bye mr carbide, to bad you just turned cherry red, been nice knowing ya - I dont think so.

Oh bye the way I also do some manual engine lathe turning of CPM10v. The tool holders are neg. rake CNMG 80deg diam. shape, The lathe fairly strong, It has has water coolent & I drill & tap a 1/2-20 or

3/8-24 or M8-1.5 or m10-1.5 hole in one end with HSS tap drill size of corse, no critical tolerances on the threads, just good threads (no class 3A-B) HSS OSG exotap Has anyone anything like that?

I thought some one out there has cut this shit. It is shit to cut. Bad finishes on bottom milling - throw your carbide inserts away after running a CPM job, even though they are not chipped - just wore on the edge. The reason I'm posting on this usenet group is to find out what others have experienced not theory's. Hopefully someone out there besides me has cut this shit. Let me know how you do it & if you have the same results. I'm tired of throwing all the tooling away after doing a CPM job.

Best Regards in advance gents.

Reply to
milgil