Machining Tips From John at Stellar Machine Inc.

To All:

Here are some machining tips culled from the following site:

I tried to pick a few that I haven't seen in amc before.

  1. When you need to cut a precise angle on a part, set it up in the machine with a protractor and then write a program to follow the angle with an indicator, this way you can bump the part around while the your machine is indicating.

  1. Progressive fixturing? whats that? Thats the ability to make finished parts, no matter how many setups are involved, instead of doing the first operation on a 1000 parts than the 2nd,

3rd, ect....you figure out how to fixture or hold down parts in sequence so that a finished part is produced at the end of a cycle, not only does this save handling time, it also allows you to detect machining problems before they become a major headache, it take a lot of extra figuring but pays off in the long run in a big way!

  1. Vertical machining centers work great for lots of jobs, but the one thing that always gets in the way is the cutouts that are sometimes left behind after a machining operation, sometimes you can bolt thru to hold them down, other times you can just mill the cutout away, but the easiest way around the problem is to just mill clearance holes, or pockets thru the fixture and leave the cutouts drop thru. =======================================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

REAL machining tips! Lots of them!!! Somebody here could maybe learn a thing or two about how to set up a useful machining tips page....

Jon (the other one)

Reply to
Jon Anderson

ROTFLMFAO

Much like you he must use a CADCAM system that's a piece of crap and have no clues what a decent systems offers:

"dec. 8th mirror image works great for producing right and left hand parts, but watch out when machining the mirrored part, if you've programmed the first part using G41 and climb milling, make sure you add at least an extra .01 to the rough cutter, because on the mirrored part you'll be conventional milling where the cutter tends to dig into the finished surface."

In a decent CADCAM system this isn't a problem. Mastercam allows you reverse the toolpath when mirroring a toolpath. I don=92t remember if Gibbscam can do this. Perhaps Bottlebob would like to answer because I have no interest in checking to see if Gibbscam can do this until Bill Gibbs is forcibly retired by Cimatron.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Gibbs can reverse any toolpath.

Reply to
BottleBob

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

This guy sounds like a die maker. Prog/transfer/tandem dies progressively fixture a part until the finished part pops out the other end, once per cycle.

Slugs and other waste frequently fall out the bottom of dies (sometimes through the press bolster) so they don't get tangled in the die, or require manual removal..

Anyway, good suggestions for sure.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
robinstoddart

"2. Progressive fixturing? whats that?"

It's a new buzzword. It's a concept that's been around forever. I like this buzzword but this concept is nothing radical or new unless you're Jon Anderson or some kid from Canada who got laid off from his touted apprenticeship program that turned out to be a bunch of crap that only Ed Huntress bought into.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Mastercam can change the parameters of any toolpath with its Edit Common Parameters function and it can do it for say 100 toolpaths in one shot. How do you change the parameters of 100 toolpaths in one shot in Gibbscam?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I like how JB gets his knickers in a knot over a real machining tips page and can do nothing but slam other people.

Anti-seize indeed.... lol

Jon (the other one)

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I like how Anderson is so limited that this page of "machining tips" is so impressive to him.

"REAL machining tips! Lots of them!!!

Please... get a real job, Anderson.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jerking around a bunch of idiots is a bad thing because? ;>)

ROTFLMFAO

Tell us more about the CADCAM you use, Anderson. I need some more laughs.

Jon Banqeur San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

This from a guy who after months of teasing and at least a hundred repetitive posts touting his binders full of tips, posts a grand total of 2 "machining tips". One of which involves anti-seize. LOL.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Checked the mirror lately??

How about adding some of "your" own tips?

Reply to
reidmachine

Anderson this post of yours is typical of how you make a fool out of yourself time and time again.

"My CAD/CAM does what I need it to do."

Because you don't do much, Anderson.

"That very concept right there is beyond your comprehension."

I comprehend you're an idiot. It=92s crystal clear based on what you post.

"don't give a rats ass what you think of it either."

LOL. Sure you do, Anderson.

Shows how easy it is to jerk idiots like you around for months on end and it=92s so easy to do. ;>)

Here's a =93Life Tip=94 for you Stevie... get a real job where you might learn what the tools needed in a real CADCAM system are. Perhaps then you might see what a joke / garbage the system you use is. For the record the joke you use is BobCRAP.

It=92s a good part of what I get paid for. Your inexperience at CNC machining and CADCAM badly shows.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Have you? When you do you will see that you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

I like and used for years most of what is on that website with the exception on tip from March 15. All you need is a small distraction like someone saying something to you and you can loose your hand when machine starts and you are not ready changing parts. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Who's going to hire you with you proven lack of CNC skills and your inability to understand / learn what's needed in a CADCAM program.

I comprehend you're an CNC and CADCAM idiot who's clueless.

Sure does.

Shows how much you feel the need to read and respond to almost every post I write. ;>)

You're too stupid to know the difference.

Oh, I know it. I guess someone has got to struggle and be clueless and that would be you. Ignorant and clueless aren't qualities that should be admired.

You will still be ignorant and clueless when it comes to CNC machining and CADCAM.

I'm not interested in your approval. It's not important to me in any way.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Lots of non-CNC machines run automatic cycles being hand feed. CNC's are no different, you just have to be aware of the machines position, give plenty of time to load/unload safely without rushing. If an operator is late loading hit feed hold button or skip the cycle all together.

I have programmed, set up and operated machines where one part is running on one side of the table and on the other side a completed part is being unloaded and a new blank loaded. Very little machine idle time. It is limited in its application for obvious reasons but for the right job it works well.

At end of each tool and/or program after block containing M05 add /M09; /M00;. If operator goes on break or needs some extra time but doesn't need to stop in the middle of a cycle simply turn block skip switch to off. So at end of tool/program spindle stops, coolant turns off & program stops.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

ha ha ha ha ha

sigh.......................................... when do get out of high school?

Reply to
reidmachine

Now I know you really are looking in the mirror at yourself.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jerry:

We've probably all done & do similar things, but I don't think it's such a hot idea to make it a public machining tip.

Reply to
BottleBob