Miller Trailblazer 55G further questions...stuck valve

Oh..I was in the middle of cutting out the bearing and needed to change position when I got hung..so I didnt want to turn off the torch..and frankly..turning off then relighting an A/O rig in a tight space isnt all that safe. WHen you relight it..you always leave a small cloud of A, that doesnt blow away immediately...

Cut out the old bearing race, installed the new one, installed the shaft and pulley and voila, good as new. Then I crawled back out and checked on my knee. Shrug..had already started to bubble. So I went out to the truck and got a pair of shorts and changed. The next day was when the big bubble busted. Stopped at a 99c Only store, got some gauze pads, some antibiotic oinment and went back out to the truck. Had to cut away the skin from that big bubble, so used my eating knife, after spraying it with carby cleaner, figured most bugs couldnt live in that shit.

DIdnt count on a couple ladies pulling up beside me and as Im cutting that big flap of skin way, having them walk around the truck.

One of them puked. I apologized to them both, I never could figure out why some folks have such a weak stomach. Covered the wound with antibiotic ointment, a gauze pad and went back to work.

The right hand took a couple days for all the blisters to blow out, and I kept some aloe based lotion on it for about a week. Only took off a couple layers of skin and didnt get down too deep into the meat. But Ive got a really wierd mottled tan on that wrist and hand now. All the burned area is fishbelly white running through my tan

Shrug...hell you know me...I tend to not let that sort of minor thing slow me down.

That left kne scabbed over..and of course I had to do a lot of kneeling and it kept breaking open and leaking blood and lymph fluid all down my leg for a week. Had to keep a bottle of alcohol and a clean rag handy to clean up the mess it was making. Ive been wearing shorts for the most part because of that.

Last of the scab came off tonight in the bathtub, gonna make an interesting scar for a year or two.

I hope the pigment comes back on my wrist and hand. Looks wierd

Gunner

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Im really really sorry to hear this.

Hang in there. Try to do projects that are in your current ability, so the healing time wont be a waste.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was pulling your leg (not the burned one).

I wasn't really expecting you to reply, its a joke.

Any one see it happen?

Being a little rough around the edges is one of your redeeming qualities.....

Well, if I was standing face to face with you and you said it didn't hurt all that much I would reply "BULLSHIT!"......and you know that's true....

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

All that engine will need is to bore and sleeve the bad cylinder and replace the valve. The guide can be repaired. Just use the broken stem and weld the chunk on with some nickel rod. Then bore it out and insert a steel sleeve. Then bore the steel sleeve and install a bronze liner. I've done more than a few of them. I have even taken engines that were basically solid chunks of rust with missing pistons, cranks and other parts and restored them like new. And they were VERY old and VERY worn engines.

The BIG advantage to restoring that engine is that he will KNOW what it is how it works and will be able to repair it easily if needed. Plus there is a LOT of satisfaction in repairing something that everyone else says should be scrapped.

I'm looking at a '47 Studebaker 2 ton truck that has just about every part rusted or bent. But it's a unique truck and would make a nice show rig. Many people would say "scrap it" not me though.

Reply to
Steve W.

TAKE NO PRISONERS!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I know

Nope. Client saw it a few minutes later as I was changing. I told him Id take care of it, not to fret.

Moi? Rough around the edges? Moi?

On the 1 to 10 scale..with 10 being having your spleen ripped out through your nostrils...its about a .5. So its not all that much. And I did sear a bunch of nerve endings, one of the signs of a deep burn is the lack of pain.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Why cant I just stick in a new guide?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You can if the ONLY thing that broke was the guide itself. Didn't look at the pics.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's a point of pride. Gunner has been bit and he won't rest until the thing belches some blue smoke and makes some watts.

I know, I have the same disease.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Im not sure it even needs to be bored and sleeved. Most of the rust occured at the bottom of the bore, fartherst from the compression stroke and its not all that thick. A cursory wire brushing didnt turn up any major pitting. Ill check it carefuly, but it may..may be ok, might use a bit of oil more than the other 3..shrug..I see lots of Lincoln SA-200s, which use the exact same engine for the most part..with a bit of blue in the exhaust, being used for many many years

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Moi? Si...a well advanced case.....

Ive been told I tend to lean towards "stubborn" as well, though I cant imagine why....shrug

Makes me somewhat desireable as a repair tech...I seldom ever shrug and walk away from a problem. And yes..Ive lost my ass on some service calls. Which sort of balances out the ones Ive walked in, fixed it in 2 minutes, billed em for a 1 hour minimum, and walked out.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Flatheads like that are supposed to be repairable in frame - you bore and/or hone it out, and install an oversize piston. Usually available in a range as needed .020, .030, .040, .060 over, but in full sets.

You might have to hunt for open stock if there's only one really big hole and three medium ones.

Reminds me, I need to go start up my PE-95G again. Willys MB Jeep

152CID Flathead four.

Problem being I have to flash both the fields again - the 12VDC Delco (gotta do an alternator conversion...) and the 120/240VAC Onan. (Gotta convert it back to exciter cranking, and it's an auto-flash as a bonus...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Please do look.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That was for historical value, right? How much time and money do you have to put in an engine like that?

i who accidentally had to free up some mildly stuck cylinders today.

Reply to
Ignoramus6286

I know access might be tight but it sure looks like it should be possible to get a drift, possibly slightly bent, up against that broken stem and guide to drive them out thru the top. You can probably remove the lifter for more room; some lifters have a mushroom on the bottom where the camshaft contacts them. Just be careful of the bore where the guide fits.

Actually, you can now finish disassembly of the engine and worry about that valve later if you wish. It will not prevent repair/rebuild of the motor. Keep all the parts in order so they can go back in the same place.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

About all I can do is a little bit of cleaning in the shop. I already have enough scars & sores on my legs that I don't want to do more damage by bumping into things I can't see. I did find two banana boxes full of Mini tower / AT power supplies, if you still need some.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

250 watt or bigger, yes indeed

Gunner