Milling Chucks

What is the difference between CV-40 shanks and BT-40? Will BT-40 shanks work in a CV-40 spindle? My company just purchased a used cnc mill with a CAT-40 spindle. There were various collet chucks with the machine including a few BT-40's. I can see physical differences between the BT and CV, but I need to know if it safe to use the BT in the CV spindle.

Thanks.

Reply to
Strutter

Strutter,

40 taper is 40 taper. The differences are in the V flange for the tool holder, and the threads for the pull stud. I think the BT has a metric thread.

If your machine doesn't have a tool changer, it doesn't matter. This is provided you have the right pull studs.

If it's a single tool bedmill, with a screw in type quick change, you'll hose up the drawbar with the wrong thread

Mark

Reply to
MM

One other difference besides the V flange and the pull stud thread - the notches for the drive dogs are asymmetric on the CAT tool holders. On my mill (30 taper) I had to change one of the drive dogs so I could use a CAT tool holder.

Reply to
J Gold