odd behavior on haas minimill

Every couple of hours of operation one of the axes's move .0004. I mean exactly .0004.

So I make a .0004 move and they come out deadly for a couple of hours, then bam...0004 out.

The Z axis and the X axis don't move even a tenth in 10 hours of full rpm operation and 100% rapid. I'm figuring the 4 tenths is a metric thing.

Anybody ever run into something like this before?

Reply to
vinny

also, my oiler seems to only work manually, and sometimes I pull it in the begining of the day, sometimes not. Could oil make the thinng shift location, then stay there perfectly for hours then shift again?

Reply to
vinny

Sounds like heat build up

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

which could be due to lack of oil.

is the move always plus or always negative?

when you start the next day do you need to shift it back?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I wonder if it's a backlash compensation variable that's been activated- double check all the controller settings and make certain they are correct

Reply to
raamman

Call your HFO, it is a thermal comp parameter, they can either walk you through it, or have a tech take care of it for you.

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

Today I came in, warmed up the spindle, ran the program empty a few times to warmup and cut a part. Had to make a .0008 move in Y+. It's always Y, and when it jumps its .0004, seems random +-. Never ventures more than .0008 from original number.

Im experimenting with pulling the oiler every three hours. See what happens.

Reply to
vinny

Call your HFO, it is a thermal comp parameter, they can either walk you through it, or have a tech take care of it for you.

"D"

I looked in the settings and all the thermal control settings were zeros. If I could predict when this thing would move I'd use that to fix it. But it's random. Who knows, maybe at night the power company changes the voltage? Sometimes

5 volts makes a difference in how the computer thinks. It changes the math. Or its the oil. Hell I dont know. I do know its level and sturdy. Maybe one axis isnt getting any oil, its only got hoses feeding it proberbl.y The mill was only 30,000, prolly used the cheapest hoses china would sell.
Reply to
vinny

"vinny" wrote in news:gc3ici$osr$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Chip in the timing belt between the Y motor and the ballscrew.

Reply to
Anthony

Possible, but the chip would have to be pretty much the same size every time

Reply to
Gunner

yea, I had a leak in the way oil system that was alarming out the machine. All the hoses (in a VF-4) are either plastic, or copper tubing.

turned out that one of the plastic hoses for the X axis ways was cut a bit short, so it eventually weaseled its way out of the track, and got caught on the nut on the ballscrew.

Reply to
tnik

I pumped the oiler by hand every 2-3 hours for 12 hours strait, worse move I had to make was .0002 all night. Thats like thru 20 cycle runs. I'm feeling pretty confident its oil based, question is why.

Reply to
vinny

Put a chiller on your coolant tank and when not in cycle always leave it running in a warmup program.

Reply to
Uhh_Clem

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nah, just create the same tension increase in the belt.

Reply to
Anthony

No coolent tank. And the z repeats perfect, so no need to keep thatwarm. As far as cutting, I try to time the minutes before cycle starts as consistant as I can. Seems to work great.

But the 4 tenths seems an aweful like .0003937. Is that one turn of the screw?

Reply to
vinny

"vinny" wrote in news:gc6stl$cqn$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Not even close. Probably near the least resolved increment though:)

Actually I like the thermal compensation parameter answer the best.

Reply to
D Murphy

thermal growth isnt a huge problem in most modern tools--( the lower bearing set is captured axially and the upper set is allowed to float )

NO

Measure three places along the axis ( front center rear) I would bet that error is less when the ball nut is closest to the thrust bearing.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

Check backlash before and after the shift at the same place on the screw. I'm wondering if you have an axis bearing pair that is moving.

How far does on mark on your encoder move the axis?

Is the drive motor bolted down firmly?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in news:vGVFk.156197$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-01.dc.easynews.com:

Good point.

I've seen a loose ball nut and a loose servo motor both cause similar problems. But in both those cases it would jump fairly random like.

Reply to
D Murphy

Im too lazy for that one.

But this I can check. Thanks.