Proto Trak Lathes

Company I do work for is looking at replacing some old lathes, by old I mean WW2 era. I'm working on moving them into at least late 20th century tech. The work is mostly one or three off, taper threads, mating tapers for pulleys custom repair work. Marine industry type of work.

I'm thinking the proto trak lathe would fit the bill, can be used as a manual lathe or programed for threading or taper work etc easily. Job I have coming up next week would be perfect, 2 dozen mounting bolts, 1.800 dia with 1.5- 6 thread.

Anybody have any experience this these machines or something similar. I have some exposure to proto trak mills, I not a fan of "conversational" programming input, but for this situation it's probably best.

Thanks:

Reply to
Just Me

I use a ProtoTrak SLX every day along with real manual lathes. I would prefer an older real manual lather than trying to use the SLX in manual mode. Overall I like the ProtoTrak because it's automatic and nice for threading or any other operation if you are not in high volume production. As far as conversational programming with a ProtoTrac Mill I use the SMX using SolidCAM to generate G-Code more than conversational. I rather use conversational than manual milling. I can't see how anyone would have issues using canned events like the irregular pocket or pocket with an island unless you are referring to the older ProtoTak models. I also use an MX3 3 axis retorfit and have used the AGE that are lacking some of the more up to date event programming features.

I've used ProtoTrak since the original mill and later the first TRL lathe.

HTH.

Al.

Reply to
Al Drake

easy, relatively rigid, and cheap. replacement parts and aftermarket stuff abundant.

cant go wrong, short or long term.

does both conversational and regular gcode. can also import dxf. networks up.

two words...."good enough"

Reply to
vinny

Thanks gents

Reply to
Just Me

I'd have a look at the Daewoo/Doosan Lynx also. Some of the used ones are in the same price range as the ProtoTrak lathes

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

There's also the MILLPOWER by ACU-RITE that I used to see around this area, maybe a decade or so ago but don't see them any more. They seemed to compete with the ProtoTrak line.

One feature I liked was "Explode" where it broke down the canned events so you could do some tweaking. Now all I see is the newer ProtoTrak SLX product and more.

Reply to
Al Drake