Self adjusting (loosening) Kwik Switch tool holders

Hi all....

Our Wells Index / Hurco vertical mill has acquired the ability to loosen its own the tool holders while operating.

The tools stay tight in the holders but after running a few minutes cutting steel with a 4-flute 0.250 cutter the vibration loosens the tool holder in the master holder.

We tighten the master holder collar securely but it still vibrates loose.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Carla

I have heard it suggested that if you tried to get a gasoline powered automobile through regulatory approval now, as a new concept, you'd never get approval. "You want to have a thin steel tank full of explosive hydrocarbons in thousands of machines driven by relatively untrained people! Are you crazy???" - Stuart Wheaton

Reply to
Carla Fong

Throw money at the problem:

DanP

Reply to
DanP

Problem solved...

We called Wells-Index (still in business making mills!) and got the skinny on how to take it apart and fix the problem.

Took the chuck apart, found a rather gnarly spring that wasn't doing its job, figured out there are supposed to be 2 springs, not just 1 holding the chuck closed... Parts available, ordered and installed and back in business for $20 total... Woo Hoo!

Life is good

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

Wells-index, good company, I have one of their mills. Bought a 4" riser a few years back, best thing I ever did. Should have done that on day one.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Parts available, ordered and installed and back in

MAN, $20 fix on a CNC machine from factory parts! That has to be close to a record!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm not worried... It will certainly average out in the long run...

Board exchange a couple of years ago was $450...

I should get busy on a PC / Linux retrofit before it dies again, right?

Carla

The government m> Carla F>

Reply to
Carla Fong