Solidworks (Camworks) training. <I gots a headache>

Been training for the past week. What a large amount of information to try and absorb. Got the training manuals, tutorial disks, etc., etc. Got a temp license to install on my computer at home, did it last night, and I must have jacked something, as none of the Camworks features are active. Damn, wanted to play this weekend, now have to wait until Monday to talk with the trainer and try to get it fixed. I don't want to stay at work on my own time to practice. After another week or two will I be an expert?

Reply to
Steve Walker

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with someone else=92s design and modify it without blowing away the models history?

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with non-native data?

How long before you realize how much of a huge advantage using Solid Edge with Synchronous Technology is compared to using the tools presently in SolidWorks for the above?

Don't read my blog or watch any of the links to videos I posted there. No one likes to see a grown man cry hysterically. ;>)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Fortunately, my customers have properly established PLM protocols, that don't involve calling their machining suppliers and asking them to free-form hack and whack their solid models.

Reply to
Joe788

Wrong, answer, Jonnie. Most of us don't wish to be buried in the BS on your bog.

gk

Reply to
gk

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with someone else=92s design and modify it without blowing away the models history?

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with non-native data?

How long before you realize how much of a huge advantage using Solid Edge with Synchronous Technology is compared to using the tools presently in SolidWorks for the above?

Don't read my blog or watch any of the links to videos I posted there. No one likes to see a grown man cry hysterically. ;>)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

O boy, you REALLY helped him with that dissertation !!! How about offering a solution to his prob there Jonnie? Besides, if I were to send you a model to make a part from, the LAST thing I would want is for you to modify it from it's original design. How much seat time do you have on Solid Edge? Got those machines on order yet?

Yup, just like a train wreck, you know you shouldn't look, but,,,,,,,

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with someone else=92s design and modify it without blowing away the models history?

How long before you figure out how limited SolidWorks is when you have to work with non-native data?

How long before you realize how much of a huge advantage using Solid Edge with Synchronous Technology is compared to using the tools presently in SolidWorks for the above?

Don't read my blog or watch any of the links to videos I posted there. No one likes to see a grown man cry hysterically. ;>)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Don't have to worry about that. I'm not responsible for the model or it's history. All I have to do is program and machine the features on it.

???? Native to what? All the models I get are SolidWorks models. You don't send a Ford to a Chevy garage to get it worked on.

Don't know, don't care. My boss pays me to use what software they buy. I doubt I will be using SolidWorks very much, mostly CamWorks, as the models I will be getting are already built & verified, by VERY experienced SolidWorks users. If I myself had to pay for the software, MAYBE I would pick something different.

I prefer to learn by experts, and the CamWorks people themselves, not by unqualified instructors.

I don't cry. The last time I cried was in 2002, when my mother passed away. I was her caretaker after she had a stroke, and she passed away in my arms after her second one, before the ambulance arrived. Got a smart-ass comment for that?

Reply to
Steve Walker

So all the models you get are ready to machine and your SolidWorks people know exactly what to provide you with so the part / assembly is ready to machine. LOL.

You shop never does any outside work? How do you keep a long time Ford customer happy when he wants you to work on his new Chevy? You tell your long time customer tough shit, right?

That's pretty much the attitude of most engineers who get paid to constantly remodel parts because SolidWorks doesn't have the tools to figure out what someone else=92s design intent is in an efficient manner... unless you feel a low level tool like a roll back bar is just fine or that feature recognition is a fast and efficient tool. This is exactly what an ignorant moron like Tom Brewer has claimed for months now.... that a roll back bar is just fine. Funny how many others don't agree with the ignorant moron. Kind of a bitch when you have a hundred features in the tree and the feature you need to modify near the bottom of the tree has relations to a feature near the top of the tree.... but hey long rebuild times and parts that won't rebuild are great if you love to get paid to do nothing while the model your working on tries to rebuild. When you get a clue and some real world hands on experience you might want to hit the video links on my blog. Make sure you have plenty of Kleenex at hand.

How do you use CAMWorks without using SolidWorks?

Tom Brewer considers himself a SolidWorks expert. Perhaps you can learn to make as many mistakes as Tom Brewer does and never learn from your mistakes.

What happens when you finally figure out that the Teksoft people aren't the experts you think they are and that automatic feature recognition is often not a great tool to use in many real world situations? Got any smart assed newbie answers for that? Not to worry you will be a Tom Brewer SolidWorks Expert in no time. There are plenty of those kind of SolidWorks experts and they all are full of shit.

BTW, where is Teksoft located? Where did I live before I moved to San Diego, CA? How long did I live there? Think I might know something about Teksoft's reputation in the Phoenix, Arizona area? Here's a clue.... it's not a good reputation.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

More importantly, what kinds of Solidworks models are YOU getting that

*aren't* ready to machine? What changes did you supposedly need to make for them to be "ready to machine"??

WOW!!! Jon Banquer telling somebody they need to get some hands on experience? Let's see here Jon, of all the topics on your blog, which ones do you actually have hands on experience with? What percentage of those press releases were written by you, from your extensive hands on experience?

"For 2 1/2 axis work CAMWorks is more than decent. It's a phenomenal package and it's fully associative." - Jon Banquer

"CAMWorks is, however, a superb package for 2 1/2 axis work and a market leader, thanks to GSSL's automatic and interactive feature recognition. Despite many CAM packages claims at feature recognition, I have not seen anything come close to GSSL's CAMWorks stuff and this includes Jerry Robertson's CIMPLEX stuff that I first saw being tested at Sikorsky Aircraft in Stratford, Connecticut." - Jon Banquer

Reply to
Joe788

[...]

Damn Jon, it's getting awfully hard to keep your uninformed press release regurgitations in line, isn't it?

"Teksoft: CAMWorks: Bruce W. is a great person to deal with. One of the best." - Jon Banquer

[...]

Jon,

[ I've been away from SolidWorks for almost ten years. ]- Jon Banquer - Aug 2007

Have you finished your SolidProfessor, SolidWorks Videos yet?

[ I just spent $600 for the SolidProfessor Professional Bundle SolidProfessor pretty much adheres to a 100 percent hands on tutorial approach. So far I'm very happy with the SolidProfessor video tutorials and feel it's money well spent. ] - Jon Banquer - June 25, 2007

How are you coming along with the myigetit videos?

[ From what I've seen of the free myigetit videos they do as well. I hope to finish the SolidProfessor videos I just purchased ( $600 Professional Package) in the next 2 weeks. When I do, I'll spend the $25 for the myigetit SolidWorks 2007 course ]-Jon Banquer-

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

[...]

Yes. I figure out how to hold the part, inform tooling what I need, they build the fixture. I program the machining, done deal.

We don't need any more outside work. We have enough work as it is. We have a wide customer base, so all our eggs aren't in one basket. You got enough money, maybe our engineers will model a non-SolidWorks part for you, so we can machine it. Right now, we are generating about $80 to $90 per man-hour worked, and we are open all three shifts, seven days a week.

How many times do I have to iterate that I don't model parts?

Simple. Fire up SolidWorks, Camworks is integrated in. Call up the model and start processing the machining.

If he makes as many mistakes as you claim, it seems like he would be unemployed by now. Obviously that's not the case.

Sure do. I don't depend on AFR. It's just a tool to make my job easier.

Not to worry

Who cares?

Where did I live before I moved to San

Who cares?

How long did I live there?

Who cares?

Think I might know something

No. I doubt very much that you have personal experience with EVERY shop in that area using Teksoft's software to qualify your statement of their reputation.

Here's a

Who cares? Hookers don't have very good reputations either, but they provide a service that keeps most of their customers satisfied. If the customer is happy, it doesn't matter what others think of the service provider. (BTW, I will not pay for any beverage soaked keyboards for that last remark. )

Reply to
Steve Walker