Survey - Micrometer Vernier Usage

To All:

I was just curious as to how many use the vernier on the sleeve/barrel of a micrometer (even when measuring to tenths)

[ ] I use the vernier every time I use a micrometer or depth mic. [ ] I use the vernier only when the accuracy requires it. [ ] I don't use the vernier - just estimate the tenths from the distance to the next .001 mark - from experience I've found it makes little real difference. [ ] What's a vernier? [ ] That's what digital mics are for.

Comments:

Reply to
BottleBob

[X] I use the vernier only when the accuracy requires it.
Reply to
Black Dragon

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Reply to
Garlicdude

Comment:

Never without first checking the mic with a standard.

Reply to
Black Dragon

and I always check against standards..

Reply to
tnik

Some mechanical digitals also have verniers Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

fwiw, my answer is this, if you were fortunate enough to be trained the correct way to read verniers then good for you, you don't need anything more. Too many people were never trained how to properly read a set of verniers, show me someone who detests verniers and I'll show you someone who missed the proper training in reading verniers.. I trust verniers no different than digitals, only the vernier always works, the dials doesn't jump off track, the batteries never fail, they never fail to zero out, so if you actually know how to read a set of verniers what is not to like? Michael

Reply to
Michael

Black Dragon wrote in news:gtpqp8$rua$ snipped-for-privacy@bdhi.local:

Me too.

Reply to
Alphonso

My only problem with verniers, regardless of what they are used on, is that I have to carry a big-ass magnifying glass everywhere because I CAN'T SEE THE DAMN LINES!!!

Reply to
Alphonso

Who can read tenths on a 84 inch vernier? I use a rail mike with calibration standards for tight measurments of large diameters.

John

Reply to
John

Judging by responses, I'd say there are a few here that have not ever heard of a Mic with a vernier on it!

Reply to
Joe788

Other than being easy to read, how does digital guarantee accuracy over mechanical?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Have you looked into laser surgery to see if it would benefit you?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

after checking zero with a standard. I rarely need to go to tenths. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Not much help for the type of astigmatism I have. And advancing cateracts. And just gettin' old.

Reply to
Alphonso

What type do you have?

"The excimer laser works differently. It uses a charged mixture of fluorine gases to produce a cool beam of ultra violet light. The beam is unique because it breaks the molecular bonds and vaporizes tissue, one microscopic layer at a time. The excimer precisely sculpts tissue with almost no effect on the surrounding tissue. This ability makes it ideal for changing the shape of the cornea.

At present, refractive surgery is most effective for myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia. LASIK is the most recent advance in laser vision correction. LASIK is an acronym for Laser Assisted In-situ Keratomileusis. Compared to the original laser PRK, the surface of the cornea remains largely intact so that LASIK patients are more comfortable and see better more quickly."

Can't they be removed?

So you'd rather be young with no experience? ;>)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

"> [ ] I use the vernier every time I use a micrometer or depth mic.

Dale

Reply to
DrFrye

[X] I don't use the vernier - just estimate the tenths from the

Its all in your feel or squeeze where the barrel stops, as you said estimating the distance to the closest .001 line. Buy the time I pull it off the work piece I'm measuring on a machine & turn it to read the tenth lines the barrel moves. I know I'm clumsy & the lock does not work. Damn digital mics. I hate'em. I keep resetting 0 on my Starrett 733

1-2 because of the way I hold it in relation to the button. Bad design. Mititoyo is much better. F-it The thing is to bulky anyway. One shop I was at a few years back kinda "required" a digital 1-2 because that was the size range of their work. Gimme my B&S satin chrome slanted line any day. Just listen to others piss & moan about being .025 off when using it.:-) When I was in the "tenth zone" building gear molds, once in a while when really needed, I'd borrow one of the old timers Etalon - now thats a nice mic. .0005 graduations & smooooth. I gotta get me one o those! Thank you for reminding me BB. E-bay here I come. None of my depth mics, Starrett & Lufkin have a vernier. If I really want to raise a few eyebrows, I pull out the old lufkin manual vernier. Remember the big manual verniers used years ago, the ID measurement was reading the vernier scale then subtracting .400" for the tips. Shit talk about mistakes.

How many use tenth indicators? not me.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D ______ /_____/\ Best Regards, /____ \\ \ Gil Pawl /_____\ \\ / HOLDZEM=A9=AE /_____/ \/ / / /_____/ / \//\ West Chicago, IL \_____\//\ / / USA \_____/ / /\ / \_____/ \\ \ \_____\ \\ \_____\/ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
milgil