What tools does Inventor give the user to help deal with this problem?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

[ I dropped out of high school to pursue my dream of making a lot of money and never went back ] - Jon Banquer [ Jon, CAD programs can't make up for your lack of a foundation built by education and/or experience in this field you repeatedly attempt to pose as an expert where you are simply a clueless beginner. ] [ I just spent $600 for the SolidProfessor Professional Bundle SolidProfessor pretty much adheres to a 100 percent hands on tutorial approach. So far I'm very happy with the SolidProfessor video tutorials and feel it's money well spent. ] - Jon Banquer - June 25, 2007 [ I've been away from SolidWorks for almost ten years. At this point I spend the majority of my day on SolidWorks 2007. The program has changed so much in ten years that I'm still way behind where I need to be. ] -Jon Banquer - Aug. 26, 2007 [ I'm committed to working with HSMWorks to doing just that. Shouldn't be too hard because their head of US operations and I see things in almost the exact same way and because HSMWorks is interested in what I have to say and wants to work with me. ]- Jon Banquer - [ Who I'm working with to deliver what truly will be the next generation of CAM:
]-Jon Banquer- [ Jon is not affiliated with HSMWorks ApS in any way and that we cannot control what people are writing on the web. Anybody can get evaluation licenses of HSMWorks and test it themselves. I hope this clarifies any doubt. ] - HSMWorks ApS -

[ I'll be reviewing the
SolidWorks course shortly. ] jon_banquer, July 19, 2007 [ I will be starting the
Solidworks course in the next week or so. ] jon_banquer, July 19, 2007

So Jon it's been nearly 8 months now, how long does it take you to finish an 8-hour or so video course?

[ Hopefully SolidWorks 2004 will use ACIS as it's modeling kernel. This alone should help to make moving between surfaces and solids much, much easier because ACIS has the surfacing tools that Parasolid simply does not have. ] jon_banquer- [ If I were to guess at this point what system is best it would be UG ] - Jon Banquer-

Well Jon, how can that be since UG has long used the Parasolid kernel?

[ He pushes UG as THE CAD/CAM solution. Can't think of worse advice for many small job shops ] - Jon Banquer - [ If I were to guess at this point what system is best it would be UG ] - Jon Banquer-
[ The only thing I agree with is, do most of us even need the accuracy Parasolid or Acis supports? I don't think so and I'm sure many people orprograms feel they do not need to be as accurate. ]-Jon Banquer-
[ The beautiful thing about working with this 1/2 million dollar horizontal machine with 12 pallets is that I spend very little time running parts and spend the majority of my time on programming, setting up and optimizing the program. ] - Jon Banquer - 12 May 2007

You have a machine designed for high production. You are glad that your machine spends little time running parts while you are programming, setting up and fixing programming errors (AKA: optimizing the program) at the control...........LOL........... only in Banquerland could someone be happy about that.

Oh! Jon, BTW your machine only has 11 pallets, since you can't count check the large sticker on the front of your machine, in large letters it tells you and everyone else how many pallets your machine has.

Are you still working for this company? How long did your employment last before you "left"?

Jon, how does a post processor compensate for something that is not done in the "CAM program"?

What is the difference between programming Aerospace parts and Non-Aerospace parts?

Are you saying someone is paying a high school drop out (you), machine operator (you) to design & model parts where you have no schooling or work experience in engineering, design, drafting or solid modeling where you have nearly 2 whole months experience using SolidWorks 2007? If so what they save using untrained and unqualified personnel designing parts they can use towards product liability insurance. I wonder, do they falsify the credentials of the person signing off on the design and drawings as well?

So your "Clients" are hiring a machine operator (you) to design and draw up their parts even when you haven't finished your SolidWorks video tutorials yet?

Yes, please do.

Said yes a few times, where is that list Jon?

How are you coming along with that list of people / companies with no mechanical engineers who have designed their own engines, gearboxes?

You liked SolidWorks 1998 but called SW 2006 a complete piece of shit. So what changed between SW-1998 that you liked and SW-2006 that made it a complete piece of shit Jon?

So what were you basing your opinions these past years, especially since you didn't know or use SolidWorks at the time?

How can that be Jon? I never said anything about "real price paid in the market".

[ I'm committed to working with HSMWorks to doing just that. Shouldn't be too hard because their head of US operations and I see things in almost the exact same way and because HSMWorks is interested in what I have to say and wants to work with me. ] - Jon Banquer - [ Who I'm working with to deliver what truly will be the next generation of CAM:
]-Jon Banquer- [ Jon Banquer is not affiliated with HSMWorks ApS in any way and that we cannot control what people are writing on the web. Anybody can get evaluation licenses of HSMWorks and test it themselves. I hope this clarifies any doubt. ]- HSMWorks ApS -

So CAD/CAM companies are now competing with credit card companies?

---------------------------------

Not just ignorant but Banquer-Ignorant:

[ You never chain geometry in Gibbs or SmartCAM. It's not necessary. ] - Jon Banquer - May 20, 2005 [ Create the elements in any order, and sequence them later, using modeling tools such as Chain. ] -SmartCAM Manual -

------------------

Ignorant = Banquer

[ I hope I provided some good info on Gibbs Machining Markers and the FACT that Gibbs doesn't have chaining tools. ]-Jon Banquer- [ Now a quickie explanation about the Machining Markers.

The blue arrow is the direction the tool will go (you can choose backward >or forward movement), you highlighted one of the three circles, they tell the tool to either go on the outside of the geometry, the inside of the geometry, OR centered on the geometry. The white round marker is where the toolpath starts, and the black round marker is where it ends. The square black & white markers are the particular section of the geometry chosen to start on. The red line it the toolpath, the purple like is the geometry (it is purple, right? I'm color blind and it looks like dark blue to me) ] BottleBob (a GibbsCAM user)

"Can you show us how you "chained" that geometry in Gibbscam, Bob?"

- Jon Banquer-

Jon did you even read Bob's post, the one you copied above and then ask "Can you show us how you "chained" that geometry in Gibbscam,?"

I can show you how the geometry in GibbsCAM is chained from BottleBob posted. Here you go, the program needs to know this as a minimum to chain:

1) profile start 2) profile end 3) direction 4) offset

So lets look at machining markers and what BottleBob describes:

1) start: "The white round marker is where the toolpath starts," 2) end: "the black round marker is where it ends." 3) direction: "blue arrow is the direction" 4) offset: "they tell the tool to either go on the outside of the geometry, the inside of the geometry, OR centered on the geometry."

GibbsCAM does have auto-chaining and if the auto-chaining doesn't give you the results you want say something like conventional cut and you want climb cut, the chain can be edited.

If BB clicks on the blue arrow and reverses it he just reversed the chain direction. If BB clicks on the white box and drags it to another position he just edited the chains start point.

You can call it "Chaining" (since that is the original widely accepted term) or you can call it "Machining Markers", hell you can even call it "Santa Clause" if you want as long as it tells the CAM program where the profile start, end, direction and offset is. All CAM programs have to know that information in order to calculate the offset tool path by any other name it's still "chaining".

----------------------------- Not just ignorant but Banquer-Ignorant:

[ I think it depends on how you use the Flex feature For bending things like brackets, hangers, suspension components, etc. I think it's great and saves a lot of time. ]- Jon Banquer- September 2007 [ To answer your question I have never worked in a sheet metal shop. I'm not using the SolidWorks Flex Feature for sheet metal parts. ] - Jon Banquer- September 2007 [ The items you described bending Jon, where you recommend using the Flex Feature "brackets, hangers" and other like suspension parts ARE sheet metal parts. ] -Tom-

---------------------------------

J>How can SolidWorks be a far better tool than IronCAD if it doesn't

Let me start by saying your and idiot.

IronCAD has parametric tools, and it allows you to use direct editing tools on the geometry as well.

So does SolidWorks. It proves you don't know either tool well enough to open your yap about it.

IronCAD allows you to create a history based part and then overwrite the history, essentially making the part into an imported part, throwing away the features, and just keeping the acis/parasolid body. You can do the same thing in SW with either an insert part or a translation. It's a crutch, Jon. A crutch for stupid people like you. You don't need to do that, because in SW you can do direct editing right on the history-based model.

Your problem here starts with the fact that you never define exactly what you're talking about, so no one can answer you properly. I suspect the reason you don't define what your talking about is because you don't have any f****ng clue.

Mixing paradigms like that (parametric and direct editing) should be the exception rather than the norm, but you seem to gravitate toward the dumbassedest way of doing things. Multiple contexts all over again. If there's a bad idea in a box, you'll find it. ] -Daisy-

-------------------

Jon on SolidWorks multiple-context:

[ JEESUS!!!!

Jon, you can't be serious! Multiple contexts? That is an absolute last resort, even when it answers the problem, you fucktard.

Plus, if you knew anything about anything you'd know that a mate doesn't create external relationships between parts, so that switch won't solve the problem anyway. Notice that the beginning user didn't do you the favor of telling you what the error message actually said, and you fell into the trap of ASSuming you knew what it was. Dumbass. If you were any smarter you would know that there was not enough information to solve the problem. But that was something that was taught in school, so you wouldn't know anything about it.

Better watch some more videos.

Did any of those books have the "use for positioning only" switch??? Why is it you refuse to learn anything? Why is that, Jon? Why are you so fukn stupid? Did you drop out of skule bekaz yer reeding comprehention was so bad? Did they fire you from that lame ass job because your such a poser?

How about using a flexible subassembly? Why did you fail to think of that, Banqueer?

Or what about making the mate in the top level? Or checking for conflicting mates or fixed components? O just about anything 'ceptn for that ONE forbidden apple, the multiple context switch, which isn;t the ansswer anyway?

What a fukn joke. Here I am just a hack, and I know better than that. Your expertness. pppbbbbtt!!

Stick to sweeping chips, f***ot.

] -Daisy-

=============================

J> The SolidWorks Flex Feature gets slammed as not being accurate enough

Oh, this is getting good. Say something else stupid and utterly ignorant, Jon. I gotta hear more of that. This demonstrates beyond doubt that you've never used either one. Jeesis, what a dumass. ] Dusty

-------------------

J> Is there a way to fix Tim Pane 1 / Trim Plane 2 directly to a face. If

Oh, are you gonna go off again about global shape modeling?

Please?

I love machinists doing global deformations of my models before they machine them. Or I mean I would if my name were Salvadore Dali. Flex is another semi-useless function in the software. You just gravitate toward that crap. ] - Daisy-

-----------------

J> Pushing Up Daisies,

Yeah, I'm sure you're not, but that's not because they are not there, it's because you are so feak> For bending things like brackets, hangers, suspension components, etc.

Never worked in a sheet metal shop, have you Jon? How the hell are you going to manufacture something that was bent by something like that? You don't have precise control of the results. Flex can't be used for design or manufacturing data. Where did you used to work before you got fired?

] -Daisy-

[ j> Pushing Up Daisies,

No shit?! I couldn't have told!

Really? What kind of a part is a bracket? Particularly a bent bracket? Is it just a bent part and not sheet metal?

It's unsuitable because you're at the mercy of the software when it comes to the shape in the flexed area. If you had ever used the feature, you'd know this without being told.

I prefer to have the parts correct, not half-assed. Please, tell me the name of any sh>> wow you one bitter bitch, what do you do again?

In the history of everything, one person who you don't even know from adam posts something positive about your pet projetct, and now it becomes gospel.

What I like is that you'll use this anonymous zander as a role model for something you know nothing about, and then you'll bust on engineers for creating stupidshit models which can't be made.

What you dont realize is that the Flex makes it really easy to make stupidshit models.

Here's a novel idea. Why don't you actually use the software to make something and tell us what you did?

Did you lose access to SolidWorks software when you got booted from that last shop for crashing another machine? I like indent. I don't like flex or multiple contexts although I use then when need requires. Which is almost never. You're still refusing to post a situation in which you would use multiple contexts?

Credibility slipping jon. Based on using flex for sheet metal parts, it probably is best to keep you f****ng mouth shut for a change. How about Shape, jon? I'll bet you like Shape too, don\t you./ Its as big a piece of shit as the rest, which is how I know you'll like it.

And of course the grand daddy of useless features is Deform. This is the one I expected you to glom onto, with the global shape modeling and all. Anyway, Shape and Deform. Think about them for a while. I know your gonna love them. ] -Daisy

Reply to
brewertr

Ignorant:

"Jon, I never forgot any of your postings about SDRC I made the wrong decision in spite of what you said. There have been a number of times that my Wife has told me to be careful in dealing with someone and after words says "I told you so". She earned the right to say it as well as you have earned the right to say I TOLD YOU SO. I made a decision that went against my better judgment and as usual it turned out poorly." .... Tom Brewer

Ignorant:

"I do not purchase programs unless I know before hand that they are what I want and/ or need."... Tom Brewer who can't follow his own advice. See above.

Ignorant:

Tom Brewer thinking he and his pals like Joe788 can play their Usenet staking games, lie on a repeated basis and suffer no consequences for doing so.

Ignorant:

"I have shot myself in the foot, not an easy thing to do when it is in your mouth and your head is in your ass."... Tom Brewer admitting what he's often like.

Ignorant:

Someone who has a proven track record of not being able to deal with or accept the kind of change that occurs in the cadcam market... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.

Ignorant:

Someone who doesn't live in San Diego yet insists there is no shortage of CNC machinists here... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.

Ignorant:

Someone who criticizes someone on SolidWorks but has never helped anyone with specific SolidWorks answers. Someone who is not able to answer any questions that "Vinny" had on master modeling or skeletal modeling. Someone who has never posted any models they have done... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.

Ignorant:

Tom Brewer's failure to understand who Matt Lombard really is.

Ignorant:

Tom Brewer's unable to comprehend what's on the cover of the SolidWorks Bible:

"Whether you're a new, intermediate, ...."

Ignorant:

Someone who can't understand more than a simple "I love it!" or "I hate it!" type of comment ... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.

Ignorant:

Tom Brewer implies that because you acknowledge that the $25 SolidWorks course covers subjects / topics that the $650 SolidWorks course didn't that you're now somehow an idiot and got screwed when you decided to purchase the $650 SolidWorks course.

Tom Brewer Writing About SmartCAM:

"I ended up paying a consultant $40.00 per hour for two weeks."

"FYI, when I said "Solid modeling" in reference to SmartCam it was tongue in cheek. What you could not see is that when I was typing that I was laughing to myself. Anyone that uses SmartCam and Solid Modeling in the same sentence cannot be taken seriously."

Recently Tom Brewer said SmartCAM had no user interface problems and yet the record shows Tom Brewer thinks SmartCAM does indeed have user interface problems:

"The only real problem that I run into is that the screen can get cluttered and it becomes difficult to pick and choose elements in Free Form. I just use the utility masking feature to hide what is in the way, that cures the problem but it does add work (I tried the snap filtering and snap options but for me it was not the best way), I have seen other packages that handle picking and choosing in better."

Conclusion:

Tom Brewer thinks he's a SolidWorks expert. A SolidWorks expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jon,

You where the one not handling change and was complaining that the machine you were running didn't have G12 & G13 canned cycles. I told you to stop complaining about it and program the canned cycle yourself.

I even spent my time to help you by writ>

]

Tom

*

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Newsgroups: alt.mach>Any one know the reason why Fanuc does not have a G12 / G13 like >Yasnac has?

Fanuc used to have this and for some reason dropped it many years ago.

If it's that valuable a feature for you why don't YOU write one for yourself?

Here is a start for you.

You stated that your company uses a lot of macros so I did not use any #500 variables. I used local variables that are reset every time the macro is called up.

I left you some work if you want it to emulate G12, G13. If you want to make the macro modal like a normal G-Code canned cycle someone who knows how to program macros can easily do it.

If you want the option of CW or CCW that is easy enough to do. I laid it out for you and commented the macro much more than I normally do to help those reading it here in this forum to understand it without having to study it too closely.

There are a lot of ways to go about it, I am showing just one way. There are a lot of ways it can be improved to add more functionality but YOU have to START somewhere and I am not going to do ALL the work for you.

If your machine supports it you can call this 9000 program (macro) two ways.

G65 P9013 X Y Z I D R F Q

or

G113 X Y Z I D R F Q

If you want to see how this macro works you can download a trial version of NCPlot at:

*********************************************** I just wrote this macro and have not tested it. ***********************************************

O0001 (TEST SUB-PROGRAM MACRO) G40 G17 G80 G90 G49 G20 G54 G94 M6 T1 S2500 M03 G00 X0.0 Y0.0 /M08 G43 H1 Z1.0 G65 P9013 X0.0 Y0.0 Z-1.0 I10.0 D.5 R.2 F10.0 Q3.0 G00 Z1.0 M9 G40 G0 Z4.0 M5 G91 G28 Z.0 M30

O9013 (CCW CIRCLE WITH RADIUS LEAD IN/OUT) (SIMILAR TO G13 BUT NOT THE SAME AS) (RADIUS LEAD IN AND OUT IS HALF THE HOLE RADIUS) IF [#17LT0] THEN #3000=3 (PLUNGE FEEDRATE Q LESS THAN ZERO) IF [#9LE0] THEN #3000=4 (NO FEEDRATE GIVEN) IF [#4LE0] THEN #3000=5 (NO HOLE DIAMETER GIVEN) IF [#7LE0] THEN #3000=6 (NO TOOL DIAMETER GIVEN) IF [#4LE#7] THEN #3000=7 (TOOL DIA. TOO LARGE) IF [#24LT0] THEN #3000=8 (NO X LOCATION GIVEN) IF [#24LT0] THEN #3000=9 (NO Y LOCATION GIVEN) IF [#26EQ#0] THEN #3000=10 (NO Z HOLE DEPTH GIVEN) IF [#18LT0] THEN #3000=11 (NO CLEAR POINT GIVEN) IF [#18LT#26] THEN #3000=12 (RAPID CLEAR LT HOLE DEPTH)

#8=#4003 (G90/G91 STORE CURRENT MODE) #1=#5003 (STORE CURENT Z POS.) #2=[#26-#18] (CALCULATE INCREMENTAL Z DEPTH) #5=[[#4-#7]/2] (SUBTRACT TOOL DIA FROM HOLE DIAMETER CONVERT DIAMETER TO RADIUS) #6=#5/2 (LEAD IN AND OUT 1/2 CIRCLE RADIUS) #100=#17GT0 (IF Q IS LARGER THAN 0 FEED TO DEPTH) IF[#17LT0]THEN#100=1 (IF Q IS 0 RAPID TO DEPTH)

IF[#17LT0]THEN #3000=1(PLUNGE FEED WRONG Q VALUE)

G#8G0X#24Y#25 (G90/G91 RAPID TO HOLE CENTER) G0Z#18 (RAPID TO CLEAR Z POINT) IF[#17GT0] THEN GOTO1 (IF FEEDING TO Z DEPTH GO TO N1) IF[#17EQ0] THEN GOTO2 (IF RAPID TO Z DEPTH GO TO N2) N1 F#17 (PLUNGE FEED RATE) N2 G91 G#100 Z#2 (RAPID OR FEED TO Z END DEPTH) G91G3X#5Y0I#6J0F#9 (RADIUS LEAD IN WITH CIRCLE FEED RATE) G3I-#5 (CIRCLE) G90G3X#24Y#25I-#6J0 (RADIUS LEAD OUT BACK TO START POSITION) G0G90Z[#1] (RAPID TO INITIAL POINT) G[#8] (G CODE BACK TO PREV. G90/91) M99 %

YOU MUST SPECIFY X, Y, Z, I, D, R, F AND Q VALUES IN SUB-PROGRAM CALL OR IT WILL GENERATE AN ERROR.

MAIN PROGRAM CAN BE ABSOLUTE OR INCREMENTAL POSITIONING.

MACRO STORES G90/91 SETTING, RUNS THE MACRO THEN RESETS BACK TO STORED MODE BEFORE RETURNING TO MAIN PROGRAM.

(X Y POSITION TO CENTER OF HOLE) (Z DEPTH/END) (I HOLE DIAMETER) (D TOOL DIAMETER) (R RAPID START/END POSITION) (F FEED RATE FOR CIRCLE) (Q PLUNGE FEED, IF Q=0.0 WILL RAPID TO DEPTH)

Tom

***********************

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Subject: Re: G13 FANUC MACRO , Corrected Macro Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 19:19:33 -0700 Organization: An InterNetNews Site

There was a long line where I thought the line wrapped but it didn't. It was a key stroke error that created an EOB dividing the comment in two.

Corrected this line from the original.

#5=[[#4-#7]/2] (SUBTRACT TOOL DIA FROM HOLE DIAMETER CONVERT DIAMETER TO RADIUS)

********************** Edited program below ***********************

***************************

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Newsgroups: alt.mach>Next priority (when we finally get the old stuff cleared up) will be

You have been running second shift lights out with no probing? Wow, gutsy move.

Have you written Fanuc macros or Probing macros before?

Well I did give you a start.....lol.

I will be editing the macro for my own use to make it emulate G13/12 options, will make it modal and add a loop so it can run multiple DOC passes if needs be.

Tom

*********************************

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Newsgroups: alt.mach>Tom:

Bob,

Well you went to a good source, Tim is a great programmer.

If Parameter #6053 = 13 G13 will execute the macro (Program Number O9013)

Make #6054=13 Change macro program number to O9014. G13 will execute the macro pgm O9014.

This is great stuff and way under utilized IMO.

It's a simple thing to do, you want G13, G12 and don't have it? No need to complain just program it. Got a good idea for a custom G Code, program it.

Family of parts shit with a macro you can even have the controller prompt the operator for inputs if needs be.

Want to know the real spindle utilization, not just machine on/off, program start/end? You can tie custom macros to M codes as well. Turn the spindle on with S code (timer starts) M5 (timer stops) macro calculates time and adds it to the variable that stores the total. Dprint that collected data to your desktop computer.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr