TalonGrip Vise Jaw System

As opposed to asking for beginner level help under multiple aliases on CNCZone? (Jim Jarvis, Mastercam User?)

Reply to
Joe788

OAB & Jon:

Sorry guys, I couldn't find what I was looking for. But while looking I thought of something similar to OAB's idea of pointed set screws in vise jaws. But my adaption is tapping the soft jaw straight in, and then using transfer screws (with a little Loctite), to screw into the tapped holes. You couldn't use it to hold really small parts, but it might hold larger parts that have "slightly" uneven surfaces that might normally "spin" or "lift" in heavy machining. The advantage here would be that you could adjust the depth of the transfer screws from outside surface of the jaw.

Can someone technically "steal" an idea that is freely given?

Reply to
BottleBob

Barn:

Awww gee, and I was beginning to just scratch the surface. I hadn't even started to go into the cluster "B" personality disorders such as Borderline personality disorder, Histrionic personality disorder, and Antisocial personality disorder. I suppose I'll not be going into any in-depth analysis of Schema Modes (coping strategies) like Surrender, Avoidance, and Overcompensation, eh? LOL

I thought I was!

Reply to
BottleBob

?x?]SAnÜ0 ¼ë

Reply to
jon_banquer

What types of claims? What are you even blabbering about?

Reply to
Joe788

Seems like a really good idea. Photos of it would also be nice.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jon:

It's simple, just a series of holes. Any pictures would have to wait awhile since I won't be in the shop for a few days.

While still on the subject of vise jaws, I had the following idea some years ago. I've never seen it anywhere, but it's such a basic idea that probably hundreds or thousands of machinists have thought of the same thing over the years. This is going to be difficult to explain, I have it drawn up in a book of inventions/projects, but that's at work. Maybe I have it on an old computer, let me go look..... I was in luck, I did have a dwg wireframe file for it that I just transferred.

Or shorter:

You would set the angle with an angle block, or sine bar. It would be adjustable from 0 degrees to 90 degrees. The bottom pivots on a dowel pin, but I'm thinking now that a shoulder bolt in a tight slip-fit recessed hole in the jaw itself might be a better idea. The underside of the curved slot is relieved wider for a small T-slot nut. I haven't made one yet, it's one of those projects that's pretty far down on the priority list.

Reply to
BottleBob

I think it also needs some sort of adjustable stop. I've seen something like this in a catalog before. (no adjustable stop)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Bob, That's a great idea. You sould start a business and market those in your spare time. :)

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Steve:

Why thank you, glad you got a kick out of it.

Yeah, I'll make them on my CNC Sherline Mill that's been sitting in my closet for about a decade. LOL

Here's another vise jaw idea I had, that I had forgotten about, which I've never seen advertised anywhere.

Shorter:

Now everyone knows how awkward it is to sometimes put a part in a vise at 90 degrees to the base (fiddling with angle bars, stops, protractors

- electronic and manual), well I thought up this vise jaw to help with that. The integral vertical edge is of course 90 degrees to the base, the lead screw movable slide is not to really clamp your part with any real force. It's just to hold your part against the vertical edge long enough to clamp your part in the Kurt. The slide can be removed if it gets in the way. We've all clamped things in a grinding vise, and them clamped the grinding vice in a Kurt. But some forms of grinding vises are relieved on the side and so therefore can't support your part as well at this vise jaw can. Or so the theory goes. I haven't made one of these either. Too many projects, too little time.

Reply to
BottleBob

Well I have a fully operational, under power, Hitachi-Seiki VA-35 for sale. Fanuc 6M, full 3 axis, Tool Changer 16 tools (I think off the top of my head), CAT 40, all manuals.

Was getting ready to put it up on eBay, will probably sell for near what a your hobby CNC Sherline Mill cost..............hint, hint, wink, wink....

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Tom:

Thanks for the offer, but I think the riggers would have a little trouble getting up the stairs to my condo.

Reply to
BottleBob

I know a good guy....could get it up there no problem, in may be an issue, he is good at solving problems. What are your feelings on a new Skylight?

Find a shop in your area, someone you trust, auto, machine shop or other, for a little space make a deal.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Steve:

I had a little extra time today, and thinking about Sam's comment about his pointed set-screw idea is probably patented, I did a search using the combined terms "Patent, vise, angle". The very first hit is below:

...at least one of the vise jaws being provided with a rotatable protractor, and extending beyond the one vise jaw for supporting the workpiece thereon at a desired angle between the vise jaws, wherein the gearing means comprises a worm drive gearing between the protractor and the manually-manipulable means, wherein the worm drive gearing comprises a worm wheel carried by the protractor for rotation in unison, ================================================================

Anyway, that seems to be fairly exotic worm gear driven angle platform protractor that probably deserves a patent.

Here's another one I saw:

Abstract A jaw is provided for a vise which includes a sloping surface for supporting a work piece at a particular angle. The jaw includes a primary mass and a secondary mass which are either formed together as a single unitary mass or formed separately and coupleable together. ================================================================

They have a picture. What it seems to be is just milling an angled nest in your vise jaw. Now I may not have made hundreds of angled nests, but it's got to be in the 20-30 range in recent years. It seems that anyone making an angled nest has been infringing on this guys patent. I mean one of the uses of soft jaws is to make nests.

Now here is a patent (or at least patent application) for vise jaw with a series of holes (they have a crude drawing of it). It's similar to the vise jaws we made, but ours are taller, but essentially the same thing. I don't understand how drilling a few holes in a vise jaw can qualify for a patent.

So in conclusion, just like Sam mentioned, just about any workholding idea we we think is original to us, someone else has probably beat us to it, *AND* already has a PATENT on it. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Our Talon Grip steel vise jaw system showed up last week. We ordered

6" they sent 8". No problem. I used them all day yesterday (Saturday, were very busy) on an aluminum hog out designed for an electronic devise I can't say anything about.

Is the Talon Grip steel vise jaw system anything special... not really. Just a good quality, simple design that can be improved with some ideas I have. ;>)

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I'd love to hear how YOU think it could improved!

Reply to
Joe788