Thanks to all who helped me on that milling macro.

SERIOUSLY...THANKS!!!

I finally got to impliment the program, and it was a beautiful thing to watch. It reached in the nc file, and ran one tool at a time thru 8 positions.

9 tool changes as opposed to 72. With the added ability to run any tool at will thru any positions. And its freakishly simple.

but....(lol there's always a butt!)

When it got up around tool 5 it really started to choke having to search thru the program each time it went to a new position. Lots of 3d code, 10 year old makinos, too much for it. By the time it got to tool 9 it took over 4 minutes to search each time for each position. A second butt, the macro would not search across the harddrive on the mill. I was forced to load the program in memory first.

Not what I wanted, but it still can be useful to the right person. Where I work they bought a small horizontal that has tombstones lined up like a civil war graveyard. They have vices mounted all over that thing. The work they are doing is mostly pre heat treat. Loading up 30 vices, and doing 2d milling. Here's the sad part...say one program mills, drills, chamfers, engraves, etc...each identical part, 30 of them. Not uncommon to have 12-15 tools, especially when drilling, might be 4-5 different sized holes that get relieved, chamfered, etc... Maybe over 20 tools. Now do the math..30 positions, 20 tools. 600 tool changes! Its all the thing does is change tools. This proggy would kick ass for this, small lightweight programs, quick to search thru, new fast controller. Currently the programmers are posting out individual tools, and the operator is typing in forever picking up these programs. (yes, if you listen real hard you can hear cicus music)

again to all who helped, thx/ that was a fun little project.

Reply to
vinny

Thanks for the feed-back. Good to hear the successful outcome.

This looks like a real opportunity for a useful/profitable commercial program, and one that should have been developed some time ago, given the proliferation of "lights out" manufacturing with multiple work pieces.

Does anyone know if there is an "open source" community wizard programmers for CNC programming that could develop and expand this concept of post-post processor optimization, working off the g code?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Cool, lets see the code. If it's taking an unreasonable amount of time searching then maybe one of us here can help optimize it.

Reply to
Just Me

Just Me wrote in news:428195d9-aa7c-4623-a248- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

July 27

Reply to
Dinh

Can you upload that file somewhere?

DanP

Reply to
DanP

Venny:

If it would help, send me the file as an email attachment and I will post it to my website for easy download. If it is large I can "zip" it to minimize transmission time.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

its little, just a macro. 20 lines tops. ill post it this weekend. havnt tried it on the newer machine that runs windows yet. Maybe i can do something using windows to speed up the search.

Reply to
vinny