Valve Grinder

This thing is a blast from the past but I have no idea how far back. I'm guessing mid 1950's, as are some friends, but we would like to narrow it down closer if possible.

Yes, it's in working condition and beats using a whirlygig on a surface grinder. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

I would say pre-WWII. I have some B&D tools from '37, '38 that have the same style toggle switches and 110 volt AC/DC motor plates.

Want to sell it?

Reply to
alphonso

It appears the grinder is older than initially thought.

Thanks to all who replied.

It's not mine to sell. In fact, its owner is looking for valve seat grinder kit. Got one for sale? :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

Why not cut the seats instead of grinding them?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I used to rebuild engines at a dealership about 25 years ago. German cars. Fussy procedures. I thought the same thing about 10 years ago. Valve seat faces are hard. Stem diameter is thin. Side forces cause valve to flex. Runout in a lathe is hard to repeat. Finish requirements are very tight. A grinder can take very light cuts, whereas a lathe tool cannot.

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Grinding valve seats with stones is a messy process and relies heavily on the finesse of the operator. Because the surface of a stone is constantly changing as it works, it cannot create a truly flat surface which encourages the ineffectual process of lapping. Carbide on the other hand, does not change as it works, and so there is no need for lapping. Tungsten Carbide leaves a perfectly flat, machined surface, which is ideal for optimum sealing efficiency and heat transfer."

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I have used Sioux grinding equipment since the early '50s. Got Neway cutter set up in 1978. The Neway system has several advantages over stone grinding, particularly on smaller diameter seats where getting the seat width exactly right is harder because it so damn small. For general purpose head work, the Neway is what we used. For racing and diesel engines, grinding and lapping seems to give a better result.

Buried somewhere in the manual that came with the Neway equipment was a statement that "the seal between valve and seat may not be gas proof until the engine is run for approximately 15 minutes". Scarey. So we lapped every job just to make sure.

Reply to
alphonso

All the racing head valve seats I saw being done were cut and then lapped. They were never ground.

I wonder what Reher Morrison suggests/what they do?

I've been meaning to buy their book but I've got some Mastercam and Surfcam training CD's I want to purchase first.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

I've been of the opinion for decades that lapping valves/seats is an ancient process that is not necessary if the valves and seats are reconditioned/modified properly, and lapping if carried to extremes, can actually be harmful.

Besides, the cold lapped line contact may not be the contact point after the engine/combustion chamber/valves/seats heat up under power.

Reply to
BottleBob

Bob,

Should we conclude that these companies found here:

Believe what is written in your link:

And that these companies don't grind or lap valve seats?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I guess Bob feels he doesn't have to respond and clarify his position. Probably too busy with gossip.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

I didn't think it really required a response. The Serdi link *I* posted said: "Grinding and Lapping Eliminated by the Serdi System Equipment!"

Then what you did was post a list of head shops that USE the Serdi System that eliminates grinding & lapping.

Reply to
BottleBob

Who was the first person to mention Serdi in this newsgroup?

Who was the first person in this newsgroup to say that grinding valve seats was obsolete?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

That's why I didn't think it really required a response. But you also said: "All the racing head valve seats I saw being done were cut and then lapped." So I gave you my opinion on the lapping of valves. The Serdi site stated that the lapping of valves was unnecessary when using their system.

Reply to
BottleBob

How many years ago was it that I first mentioned Serdi in this newsgroup?

What did I recently say about race engine builders I've had contact with?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

I don't know. A Google search using "jon snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" and "Serdi" only shows comments made in January 2008.

You said they cut and lap valves. The Serdi site says lapping is unnecessary.

There's really not much left to make anything out of here. Are you just pining for your buddies Tom B, and Joe788?

Reply to
BottleBob

What happens when you do a search using the word Serdi?

Jon Banquer San Diego, Ca

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

Why, I get about eight hits in 2004. That's odd, I thought your E-mail address has been the same for years.

Reply to
BottleBob

You often don't think.

You often make major mistakes in judging people and situations.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer